Author Topic: All To Get Her  (Read 104720 times)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
Re: All To Get Her (Cutey Preview)
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 10:29:33 PM »
sometimes i end up in a black void when i finish a level in time trial mode..... its happened on two different levels (0-8 and 1-1)

i think the level end is getting triggered twice somehow, because in both cases i beat my record, but the end-of-level time screen said +0.01, and my recorded time was 0.01 (or 0.02) lower than what the time screen showed
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 10:39:35 PM »
There is some slight discrepency with the time differences because everything is actually tracked in frames, and the full milliseconds are truncated (only two digits are really necessary since the third+ digits will always be the same following the first two). I didn't put in the effort to actually get the "visible" difference, but I guess I should.

Not sure what's going on with the void, though. The most likely cause is that the fade-in command isn't going through or something. I'll take a look.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 10:50:29 PM »
ive had it happen 3 or 4 times on 1-1 now actually.... usually im holding down the jump button as i finish the level so that might have something to do with it

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 10:54:22 PM »
Oh, okay, that's almost definitely it. It just checks for a hold and not a press, so you can advance it immediately, which likely confuses it and has it show you being "behind" (probably actually using the time you're ahead by).

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 11:36:37 PM »
Reuploaded with time differences that should look consistent with what you see, press required to advance time improvement screen (and no bugginess even if you press it on the exact first frame), box filter in 0-11, and less annoying platform placement in 0-5. I also slightly changed how level-loading works again for development convenience but hopefully didn't break levels for regular play again.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 02:05:18 AM »
i beat all the staff times on the newest version......

0-8 was very hard, i got 9.21 twice and 9.3x/9.4x countless times..... 0-12 was hard too

u should revisit 0-11, i got 5.95 (even with the change at the end)

for most of the 1-x times i just barely scraped by.....  1-2 is the only one i beat by a significant amount (i got 8.98) but other than that i dont think i found any cool new strats..... 1-9 had a cool strat but its probably the same one u used bc i only beat it by .10

i did a bit of optimization on some levels to get sub 3:30 sum of best.... heres my save if u want to see my time's

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 02:27:36 AM »
That save file doesn't actually store times, they're in the registry. Other than this specific purpose, I don't think there's any real reason to save them in a file. I'll be adding options to clear records and progress, though.

The keys to 0-8 are jumping to make the float boxes fall ASAP, throwing the fallen float boxes, and then jumping straight from the third box on top of the ones you threw. I got 8.65 with that, so 9.2 is fairly generous.

I'll change 0-11 to 6.2. I was throwing the second box before instead of pushing it.

Man, 1-2 is tough. I guess the strategy is "jump across, drop Asha in front of the monster door, break one box and absorb the other, remake box temporarily to crush bottom slime with door, drop it on top slime, run for exit." The timing on the crushing seems awkward, so I might see if adjusting the cycles makes it better.

EDIT: Changing the position of the wood door so that the recreation of the box on top can also crush the bottom slime, I got 9.35.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:46:46 AM by vgperson »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 02:50:17 AM »
oh i was throwing all three boxes on 0-8..... maybe make it 9.1 or 9.0 so its more clear that isnt a viable strategy

for 1-2 start with brooke + holding D, run right and jump across with brooke (asha should fall), stand on the top right block and very quickly unmake it, hold left (pushing the other block off), jump on the block above the top slime, and very quickly remake the block to crush the top slime. if u are fast enough then the bottom slime gets crushed by the door when u remake the block, then just hold D and exit right

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 03:02:53 AM »
Yeah, that's basically what I was doing. But the new door position should make it easier to time the door crush even if you don't use the fastest method for the top-right wood boxes.

And oh man I just figured out your cool 1-9 strat (I misread it as 1-8). I didn't intend for that but it's really good. I might take that down to 12.0 or so.

EDIT: What's your opinion on quick-selecting for Brooke? Currently it only selects top-middle or bottom-middle if you hold up/down, since I figured adding left and right would result in too many accidental cursor movements, but in a time attack setting it would flow better to just hold the direction you want. Maybe I can literally make the behavior different in time trials??

Maybe when you're holding up/down, she freezes in place so you can choose the cursor position without her moving. Asha already freezes when you hold Action to make quick-selecting items easy.

EDIT 2: Yeah, this is seeming like the way to go. Only disadvantages I can see are for dropping through platforms (very small time loss, should be none at all if you fall onto it holding down) or if you're using a control stick, and I could add an option to disable it for that case. Reuploaded with that and some changed staff times.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:36:30 AM by vgperson »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 03:47:42 AM »
i feel like there are potentially a lot of little control tweaks u could do to make time trial nicer, like picking up and throwing stuff with asha is kinda annoying..... i was thinking it might be good if holding S made you auto-pick-up stuff, but then i remembered holding S brings up the item select menu..... maybe add optional separate buttons for throw/item select? a control scheme where u hold a button to pick up, release to throw might feel good for tt (like the two ways of throwing eggs in yossy island....)

i also wonder how it would feel if time froze (like not just the tt counter, also enemy movements and stuff) when u used item select or magic..... that would be a big change though & make time trial a lot less technical

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 04:03:35 AM »
I was considering stopping the timer while the item/spell menus were open and you weren't getting any movement out of the auto-alignment, but it seemed strange. Didn't think about stopping time entirely, but I dunno. I'd rather try to make the "menuing" be non-annoying enough that it doesn't matter.

I've thought about an extra button or two, both for actions and for switch/sync move. (I'm thinking the latter is probably fine now that I made it so you can start levels in sync, and there's a kind of strategy involved in minimizing that wait before a sync starts.) Not sure if I want a whole extra button just for Asha's item menu, though?

The big issue with the hold/release would be when you actually want her to keep holding a box. I did add some things to make quick grabbing and throwing easier (you can grab a box shortly after turning away), but they don't help too much. Maybe you should be able to grab from a whole half-tile away regardless of your direction?

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 04:17:53 AM »
i dont realy have any more ideas for how to improve the controls..... like theres some stuff i find annoying but im not sure how it could be fixed? u might just have to settle for annoying controls being part of the challenge in time trial.....

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 05:54:51 AM »
Well, I thought of a few.

- Can now grab a box regardless of facing direction as long as you're any less than a half-tile away.
- Can now pick up a box while pushing it, since I don't think there's any issues that could cause.
- Can now press Action to throw boxes if you do so quickly after picking one up.
- Brooke snaps to closest tile when selector opens instead of just continuing in the direction she was going.
- When you Remake a wood box while holding left/right, left/right is briefly cancelled to prevent accidental pushing of the box you just created.

EDIT: ...And added options for quick-select and selector snap preference. That's probably all the control fiddling for now.

EDIT 2: Okay, one more change, but it's not really control-related: Made selector not draw until Brooke is aligned with the grid. Since she can't cast until she's aligned, it's a surprising improvement to clarity.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:29:38 AM by vgperson »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 05:10:02 PM »
wow throwing feels much better now..... nice job

not sure if either version of the brooke snap thing is better.... moving backwards away from the tile u want is just as frustrating as moving forwards away from it.... its a nice option to have tho, ill probably stick with the grid snap version

on 1-6 you can make an early cycle if you unmake/remake the top block to skip the second golem, and then unmake the wood block at the bottom instead of pushing it.... i got 10.46

i also got 17.23 on 1-8 just by optimizing my movements better..... u can save a lot on that level just by doing the switches efficiently

i beat all the staff times in the new version & got my sum of bests down to 3:18.41 :honeydew:

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 05:52:34 PM »
hey vg i have a macintosh i could test ur game with if u dont have access to one......