Author Topic: All To Get Her  (Read 104729 times)

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
Re: All To Get Her (Cutey Preview)
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2017, 06:26:09 AM »
Updated both builds with a bunch of miscellaneous stuff. I changed most timer displays to leave out the minutes unless necessary, added an All Times option in Level Select to view your times all in one place as well as area total times, added data deletion to Options, made Level Select level numbers red for visibility, made "unset" times show as dashes instead of 9:59 or whatever, and had it keep your Level Select cursor position across executions.

Still planning to address some controller things for two-player soon, but I'll probably actually start making Area 2+ now. Thanks for the testing so far, everyone! I mean, I would've discovered how levels didn't actually load eventually, but probably not a lot of the other stuff.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2017, 06:58:29 PM »
i found a sequence break in my level (i didnt know about piggybacking when i made it) so i updated it....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:22:38 PM by aimaina »
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

juner

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 101
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2017, 07:12:59 PM »
oh... i think i piggybacked when i played through flufftown & now i can't figure out how to get brooke up to the left hand ledge. wondering if there's a mechanic i'm missing... i've found the levvies at least

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2017, 07:24:20 PM »
u need an Advanced Technique to get on the left ledge.... it would probably be a bit easier with two players

i just edited the post with a slightly harder version of flufftown that may also serve as a small hint.....

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2017, 07:37:30 PM »
I thought the Advanced Technique was always required?? I beat version 2, anyway. Time for Version 3........

Anyway, I just found out there's an easy script for compressing byte arrays and updated to have the dungeon strings make use of it. This will make old strings fail to import, but there's only like two of those currently, so.

EDIT: Ah, you found the other Advanced Technique... Suffice to say, I won't ever require this or the easier Advanced Technique in the main game, but it's cool.

Also, noticed that carrying Brooke upward via box doesn't like up-floors and treats them as solid even from below. That'll be fixed.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:47:01 PM by vgperson »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 07:53:51 PM »
the Advanced Technique im was talking about is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
you dont need it at all for the original flufftown, u can just use the two blocks from the right to make a staircase

heres the original flufftown in (new) string form..... the intended solution involves using all four blocks and no "piggybacking" (brooke is allowed to stand on a block that asha is holding, but asha cannot move or jump while brooke is standing on her block)
Code: [Select]
AllToGetHer|old flufftown|DwAAAAACAegEAAEzATABMArgBwAgHmAAAgoKAWAaYAwgAAEUCiASIAAgCmAAIAkgDSAFoADgFx8gACAt4AEvIAAgDeATDwAeIB3gAx8AAiAN4AMP4Acf4BNPARQM4AYfIA8AFCBNwACAO0AAICegAAAoQA7gqA/gBAABCgo=
and heres advanced flufftown in the new format
AllToGetHer|flufftown|DwAAAAACAegEAAEzATABMArgBwAgHkAAIBYAASAD4AAPIBAgAiAAIApgAAAU4AYPIBkgHSAFgABACSAD4AAPQAAgDeAjDwAeIC3gAy8AAiAN4AMP4Acf4BRfAAzgBh8gDwAUIE3AAIA7QAAgJ6AAAChADuCoD+AEAAEKCg==

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2017, 08:20:26 PM »
i made a bad flufftown sequel
AllToGetHer|end of flufftown|DwAAAAACAegEAAE1ATABMArgBwAgHkAAIBZAAyAFoAAgCSANIAXAAOAGDyAZIB0gBYAAQAkgA+AAD0AAIA3gIw8AHiAt4BMv4Bcf4ANvAQEM4AUPBAIMABQUIF3AAIArQAAg10AAAzwAAChADiAPAD5ABQAyIBQgB0APIDcBFRVAJSANQA8CPQoVQAfAD+ABACAVIB/gAQAgDeBZD+AEAAEKCg==

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2017, 06:01:03 AM »
After screaming at gamepads all day, I think you can play two-player with two gamepads now??

Unity can't intuitively know which controller is for which player, so I put in ways to figure that out. It assumes the first gamepad input after launching is Player 1, and when you start two-player mode without it knowing what controller is Player 2's, it opens a calibrator asking each player to press a button to figure it out. (It also figures it out when you set up controls for each player.) If a controller gets unplugged or something, you can also recalibrate from the pause menu.

It recognizes the two types of gamepad I have (a 360 controller and a Logitech one), provides better button names for them, and uses its knowledge of what the input axes actually represent to improve controls for them (mostly prioritizing pure left/right/up/down inputs over diagonals, except for cases like Brooke's quick selector). If you have two different gamepads plugged in at once, however, Unity has no actual way to know which is which, because it's really good like that, so I let the user manually switch between the types.

Anyway, it probably all works now, but I'd appreciate if anybody could do what they can to test it further. Also, apparently the button mapping for the 360 controller differs between platforms, so if anyone has a 360 controller and a Mac, check that I got them correct. (There shouldn't be input problems, only incorrect button names, but everything else has been extremely flaky so who knows.)

EDIT: Fixed a bug that came up when configuring keyboard controls, and added the two-player warning for when keyboard controls overlap. I'm really done with that stuff now, I think!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:27:17 AM by vgperson »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2017, 01:45:19 PM »
i just got an xbox 360 type game pad & i have a snes-to-usb adapter so i can probaly test that sometime.... maybe 2nite or 2morrownite

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »
one-screen dungo that i might expand later.... bapuz gets pretty wild if u add a second character and half-tile movement
AllToGetHer|flufftown catacombs|FwAAAAACAfAECGVudHJhbmNlATIBMAEwCuAGACAl4AIAAALgBR0FAAEKCwsL4AETAVpaYA8AH+ABMWAPAAqgEQIMABSAD6AgAAygH6AO4AYPARQUwB/AIOAAD6AQwA/APyAAgF9gACANABSgb2AAIA+gH+AHL+AHD8BfIABgT6AfIBcACmAPoBBAC0AAoA7gEQ+gMOAiLyBSgLtAACAMYADgAD+gEOAAD+AHH4APYPtAAGAPIFNgLwABIfQU+AQQdG8gYmUgY29udGludWVkPwExQfwgLUAsYeUgC0AAQA8AASA74AMP4ABMIABAH+ADEIAP4AEhoA/gABDAD0AQID7gAQ8gECAO4ADcIACAD4DMQADgDQ/BDeAPH+AHP+ABEOANT+AHL+AHDyAAoBLgLT+gPCAAgD/gARChAOAAIAEKACEP4AIggA/gARCgDyAQwAAgDOASAAELCw==

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2017, 06:41:06 PM »
I didn't quite realize until now how Brooke, when muted, is pretty much only useful for holding boxes up if there aren't any wood boxes. But I guess it fits.

I get the basic concept, but I can't figure out how you would get a stack of 3 to the edge, which I figure you must need for Brooke to get up there.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2017, 07:16:27 PM »
u dont need to get a stack of three all the way to the edge, just close enough to jump there (which is pretty far away!)

i think its a good puzz so i wont give any more hints 4 now..... :honeydew:

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2017, 04:33:53 AM »
Updated both builds with Area 2!

The tileset is the same as usual for now, but I'm wondering if I should at least change the background color and palette of the blocks for each area. Like, I implemented a cool background-color transition effect and it isn't even being used, so.

There's now an Initial Item option for time trials, like the girl start option. Wondering if there's a better way to handle item switching, though... and if the ability to toggle Levvies on and off is at all necessary.

EDIT: I made the item menu activate a little sooner and it seems less slow now. (You can also activate it in midair.) As long as nobody's holding the button a whole third of a second for their press inputs, right?

EDIT 2: Tried giving Area 2 a different basic palette. It looks weird to me, but I dunno.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:57:57 AM by vgperson »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2017, 05:35:03 AM »
i was about to ask if 8.5 on 2-1 was a typo but then i figured out the strat.... nice

howvever i need to go to bed so i cant play the rest......

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2017, 09:26:59 AM »
i didnt go to bed because im a stupid head...... area 2 was cool

2-5 had me stuck for a lil while trying to figure it out.... good tricky lev.... i beat the staff time by a lot but i dont think i used any unusual strats, just optimizing enough to get a good cycle on the snake

2-7 has a cool speedstrat: [sp]use the top block to kill the golem instead of the bottom one[/sp]

2-8 was the hardest staff time both to figure out and beat i think.... i thought i was using the wrong strat for ages because it was so awkward and complicated

i dont know what the intended strats were for 2-9 and 2-10..... like what was the point of the stuff on the left side in 2-9, and whats the snake for in 2-10

time's (total 5.19.0)