Author Topic: All To Get Her  (Read 104778 times)

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
Re: All To Get Her (Cutey Preview)
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2017, 04:56:30 AM »
"almost as good as joogle" - ducko 2017

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2017, 05:08:57 AM »
Now that's an honor!

I don't really know what's Subversive about it, it's just my way of introducing the basic single-character mechanics and then being like "but also you sort of need the different abilities of two characters." And narratively it's like, of course they wouldn't want to work together until it was necessary.

A guiding principle for the graphic and sound direction was just "what BAPuz was going for, except now it's more like a super-fancy Game Boy Color." So basically every sprite has only 3 or 4 colors, and some palettes are shared by a number of sprites, though it definitely breaks the rules in places. (The fade transition and level select previews even use alpha channels, which is shameful, but the latter especially needs it.) And I didn't rip any sounds from Tetris Plus this time!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:39:26 AM by vgperson »

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2017, 05:17:16 AM »
well it subverted my expectations in the sense that for a while i really thought i was just missing some game mechanic and i got hecka stuff before the cutscene activated. same @ being able to go back to levels and bring stuff it's the kind of thing you think about happening in a game but this game actually does it B)

@style - i guess im appreciating all the little things a lot b/c ive been doing a lot of 'gramming lately where all minute details are a pain to do lul

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »
this strat is rly annoying but i got 9.96 on 2-3 after a lot of practice with it....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i also just discovered that you can start with levvies in 2-3 time trials after you collect them once, which would probably let u go a little bit faster, but i assume that will be patched out so i wont bother setting a time with it.....

control suggestions:
- when you bring up the item menu without holding a direction, it should select the "opposite" of your current item by default
- if you have no portaboxes/bombs, then left/right should do nothing (except maybe play a "no" sound effect)
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »
I like that strat. Moved the stack left one so it's much easier to get in there, and lowered the staff time a little. Also fixed the Levvies bug.

The item toggle idea is good, but would be confusing for most players, so I made it an option, disabled by default.

Locked item slots can't be selected now. Not sure if you meant "have no" as in "they're not unlocked" or also "you have 0," but the latter seems like it could be confusing sometimes. I guess we'll see once I make some levels with them.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2017, 12:17:28 AM »
i meant "you have 0" but actually "not unlocked" is probably better, u might want to like switch to an item before u collect it for quick usage or something

it took a while but i got 9.95 on the new 2-3..... im glad sub 10 is still possible with the moved stack

i also got 14.90 on 2-8 with some optimization and trix

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2017, 01:37:36 AM »
sub 2 on area 2  :apple:

improved 2-5 strat:

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2017, 05:23:49 AM »
its amazing how much time u can save just by optimizing your movement and menuing.... i just got 9.85 on 2-10 with the snakeless strat i described before (the one i thought was barely faster than the staff time of 12.5 at first)

remember when we talked about putting tas tools in joogle? that was a stupid idea but i think it would actually be kinda cool in this.... probably too niche to be worth implementing tho

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2017, 06:25:42 AM »
it was the best of time's, it was the worst of time's..... - shakespeare

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2017, 07:18:08 AM »
fun 1-8 skip:

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
did some work on my area 1 time's (and 0-12).... im probably done with time's until new levs come out

sum of bests: 4:59.8  :watermelon: :apple: sub 5 :orange: :honeydew:

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2017, 04:06:55 AM »
i finished the dungo i started earlier, flufftown catacombs.... it has 4 actual puzzle screens and a bunch of stupid filler screens

the puzzles are fairly difficult i think but they dont require any silly Advanced Techniques involving rapid switches or anything, u just have to "use your head".....

also theres a glitch where the screen doesnt scroll upwards so the ending is kinda anticlimactic until vg fixes that

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:41:16 AM by aimaina »

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2017, 05:07:14 AM »
It's not really a glitch, I just figured scrolling up would be awkward and undesirable in most cases given the super low jump. (And at least back when I first implemented the screen scroll, it was causing rapid scrolling back and forth if you stood at a Y position right in the middle.) I guess I can add it in if you really want it...

Also, is "depths" supposed to be that easy? The wood boxes and door seem pointless; I just used the two iron box stacks and Brooke's head-carrying to get a box that let me climb up to the pressure switch. I imagine "guardians" is intentionally like that, though.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:08:52 AM by vgperson »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2017, 05:10:51 AM »
lol apparently i forgot that you can drop through upfloors when i made that level

ill see if i can fix it

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2017, 05:16:04 AM »
updated my post above with the fix....
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:18:31 AM by aimaina »