Author Topic: All To Get Her  (Read 104836 times)

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
Re: All To Get Her (Cutey Preview)
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2017, 12:16:14 AM »
Wow, the function key thing is a whole new world of things not doing the things they're supposed to I didn't know about. I wonder if I need to say anything about that under troubleshooting.

EDIT: In addition to warning about that, I'll add 7 and 8 as alternatives to F1/F2 in the editor. Wouldn't really be viable for the emergency controls reset since you can assign buttons to them, but oh well. I think just having the mouse work on menus decently solves the problem that's trying to address anyway.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:51:42 AM by vgperson »

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2017, 12:28:18 AM »
my last few laptops have had the function keys mapped to weird hardware shit. some of em are os-specific too lol..... yeah just tell em about that fn key modifier and it should be good

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2017, 11:27:19 PM »
Once you explained to them what video games are and what Joogle is, Brooke would be incredibly insulted by that.

(so when's Joogle 4 where Joogle can use magic)

I was actually thinking of Asha as Joogle b/c she's the better one obvs. (And also because her name is earlier alphabetically)

@ducko use fn+f2
:dancedog:

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2017, 12:37:56 AM »
heres how it breaks down imo.....

brooke/joogle:
  • blue
  • brooke can use magic / joogle uses half energy for fire key
  • situationally useful

asha/pilid:
  • not blue
  • asha is more athletic / pilid is faster
  • just generally better
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2017, 08:05:07 PM »
i like the mouse menus in this game btw im gonna try to steal them..... it might be hard tho since i think there isnt a nice way to detect when the mouse is outside the window in grame maker

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »
it might just be hard in general.... all my menu options are just text drawn with the draw_text function so im gonna have to do some annoying shit to make them clickable

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2017, 08:19:22 PM »
My menus are pretty much the same - I just create Rects defining the clickable area in the same area of code where the text gets drawn. The Step event equivalent checks if the mouse position is inside each of the bounds to change the selection, and a click while inside one of the bounds is equivalent to pressing the confirm button. Of course, I can't recall there being a nice way to define Rects (or just an arbitrary struct of four numbers) in Game Maker.

EDIT: I guess you could just use an array. Not that nice, since GM doesn't have a way to initialize a whole array at once, but you could make a script that does it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:06:23 PM by vgperson »

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2017, 09:04:33 PM »
iirc game maker has some useful functions for determining the size of text when its drawn... u could make a function to create an object with the correct size using those functions

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2017, 09:11:03 PM »
Yeah, my text/font system is basically totally custom, so I also have functions to calculate the width of text. (Though in practice, whenever I had lists of options, I found it was better to use a uniform "max expected width" for the mouse bounds - you don't want to have to move the mouse left or whatever to highlight a less-wide option.) Making objects just to serve as hitboxes seems silly and messy to me, though.

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2017, 09:29:12 PM »
to me it makes them the most reusable for other thigns

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2017, 09:43:03 PM »
i got it mostly working and it wasnt as bad as i thought itd be, i just took my already-existing code for drawing the options at specific positions and made that fill up some arrays with the x, y, width and height for each option, and then used those values to determine when im hovering over a particular option

the part im having trouble with now is that the "mouse_x" and "mouse_y" variables dont account for scaling properly in certain circumstances -_-

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2017, 06:50:39 PM »
Updated both builds with Area 4! This will probably be it until I have a complete game to test. I'm likely going to put together a trailer, though, which I might be able to make and post before the game's fully done? I should really plan that out now.

I added some music to the intermissions... in two flavors. I made a certain change to bombs for more puzzle potential. And I added lava, which iron boxes float in.

Also, I added a chest object, which acts as a win condition in custom dungeons when both girls reach it. You can only have one per screen, but multiple in a dungeon if you want. (I would allow more than one per screen if I knew a good way to handle it.)

Lastly... I did some things behind the scenes to prepare for something special later. If you don't notice anything, good?

EDIT: Forgot to unblock the entrance to Area 4. It's fixed now.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:12:28 PM by vgperson »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2017, 12:17:48 AM »
when i continued my game i started on a blank screen & i had to go to level select to do anything.... maybe thats just due to version changes though

also if i watch "on the merits of 'girl'" before going to area 4, the area4 music plays at extreme speeds for some reason....

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2017, 01:09:24 AM »
13.58 on 4-10
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2017, 01:30:03 AM »
im sad that the floor here is indestructible.....