Author Topic: All To Get Her  (Read 104752 times)

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
Re: All To Get Her
« Reply #255 on: August 18, 2017, 04:33:41 AM »
My best guess for why it only happens in specific cases has to do with object creation/execution order, because this is definitely some kind of race condition for same-frame exits.

Logging the switches that happen, exiting 6-2 simultaneously as Asha (in cases like starting from 6-2) causes the switch to Brooke, then it's reverted... but then it switches again to Brooke. And I guess in normal circumstances, the level would've changed before that second switch can happen, but not in Area 6 since it fades out. I should be able to fix it by double-checking to prevent the second switch. I'll also make it so restarting does actually correct the characters (I'm not sure why I thought it already did).

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #256 on: August 18, 2017, 06:20:20 AM »
another suggestion is let me start from intermissions with bombs/boxes, so i dont have to play thru 5-10 every time i wanna do a full practice run of area 6..... (if i start from 6-1 then the moms get my items)

its not a big deal if u cant do that tho since i can just practice 6-2 to 6-10 i guess
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 18, 2017, 07:27:06 AM »
if you turn off levvies (i.e. press s with levvies equipped), go through a mute gate, then go through an unmute gate, the levvies will turn back on.... they shouldnt imo

also a weird thing i noticed: mute gates disappear when you pause for some reason??

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 18, 2017, 07:30:09 AM »
actually just touching an unmute gate turns levvies on every frame or something..... you cant even turn them off while standing in an unmute gate without unequipping them

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 18, 2017, 08:48:17 AM »

not the best runs but much smoother than trying to improvise based on individual level strats.... ill wait for the character switching fix to run area 6

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 18, 2017, 08:53:02 AM »
oh and heres this for completeness

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #261 on: August 18, 2017, 09:49:13 AM »
Intermission Portabox/Bomb support is in for the next update, as well as changing the scenes between Area 5 and 6 to "intermissions" instead of "cutscenes," since I guess they are.

Hmm, I guess you're right about the Levvies. The way I coded it, it made sense to have Unmute gates auto-activate them (getting them Muted is like forcing a toggle-off and disabling the ability to toggle them back on), but I should be able to rework it.

Mute gates don't actually disappear, the pattern of the pause cover just overlaps them completely because they're made entirely of X's.

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #262 on: August 18, 2017, 06:50:21 PM »
v1.05 is up with the aforementioned changes.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 18, 2017, 10:20:34 PM »
how does it determine which item is selected at the start of a stage in area 6?

the current way isnt causing me any problems but i dont understand it.... for example i finish 6-2 with levvies on asha, start and finish 6-3 with gloves on lisa, then start 6-4 with gloves on asha.... what happens to the levvies

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #264 on: August 18, 2017, 10:44:39 PM »
Oh, it looks like it was reverting to the item you had started the last level with, for reasons involving how restarting works. Reuploaded to fix that.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 19, 2017, 12:45:47 AM »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 19, 2017, 12:50:08 AM »
based on my world times i think i should be able to get sub 21 with a decent run.... sub 20 would be tuff

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 19, 2017, 01:15:11 AM »
ok i got 20:24.7 on my first attempt with a bunch of mistakes.... i guess sub 20 is my goal and then ill retire from atgh speedrunning forever.......

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #268 on: August 19, 2017, 02:01:30 AM »
Did some further thinking about the item bug and it turns out that if you switch items in the treasure room, you'll start 6-1 with the item you had coming into the treasure room (but maybe only if you have Skip Scenes on, otherwise it'll update properly during the course of the scene?). I guess I'll fix that, not that it matters. I believe it could happen anytime a fade is used instead of a screen scroll, but I think that's the only place it'd happen (no other items to switch to in the intro).

Although now that I put it that way, I think I need to fix it for the end of 6-1 cutscene. But again, doesn't matter much.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 20, 2017, 03:16:40 AM »
sigh i got 20:15.5..... speedrunning is really frustrating.....