Author Topic: options  (Read 27691 times)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
Re: options
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2017, 01:44:28 AM »
hey what do u think i should do if i use this menu in a game with music but no sound effects? im thinking i should remove the sfx volume option because it would be confusing if its there.... but then if i do that, i should probably also remove the option select bleppy sound and the [sp]kitty meows[/sp] because theres no way to change the volume of them anymore, and idk if thats a good idea.....
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 02:00:48 AM »
Er, why not just have a global volume that applies to everything then?

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2017, 02:03:18 AM »
oh hm thats a good idea...... thanx :honeydew:

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 08:11:04 AM »
love-game.net/megamountain/

decided to see how annoying it is to integrate teh options menu into an existing game.... turns out its pretty annoying but it should go better next time i hope

tell me if u notice any weirdness.... also this version of the options menu should save your settings between plays, so let me know if that works (it only saves when you select "resume" though, so if u just change some options then refresh while still on the options screen, it wont save)

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2017, 11:45:11 AM »
Saving works.  Hard mode is hard.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2017, 03:24:38 PM »
wow i finally finished mega mountain e-z mode lol

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2017, 02:23:22 AM »
thanks 4 playing everyone.... heres another port

love-game.net/warpmaze

after i backported all the crap i had to change to get mega mountain working, it was 1000x easier to add the options menu to this game.....

btw if u didnt know i converted my cute witchy house updates twitter into a general sylvie games twitter...... its twitter.com/sylviefluff

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 08:02:02 PM »
wow i was looking at my very old game "slime attack" which i thought was a solo project but apparently vg did some of the programming for it and mitch did the music?? how did i just forget that it was a collab lol

im thinking of porting it but i wonder how i should credit mitch..... like does he still use the name Mitchell_XD

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »
I don't really remember which one that is, but okay. (Is it the one with Attacking In Eight Directions?)

He switched from Mitchell_XD to MCXD for a while, but I think now he might go by Grand Honchkrow. You could probably use any of those names, though.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2017, 09:10:40 PM »
its the one where u bounce on slimes and buy cute hats and weapons....

its very possible you didnt actually work on it tho and the programming credit is because i used to just copy your platform movement code instead of doing it myself

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2017, 04:12:47 AM »
heres a fun question:

should the key repeat options actually apply to the options menu itself, or should they only apply to the game & the options menu will have its own fixed delay/speed?

the main problem i have with the former is that changing the key repeat speed option using the keyboard is kinda awkward because it starts repeating faster/slower as you change it

im thinking the latter would be better but maybe it would confuse people if they change the setting & then it doesnt have any effect until they go back to the game......

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2017, 04:36:05 AM »
Seems like it would be nice to have vertically, because you could test it easily in the options menu.  But horizontally it should probably be consistent - at least for that option.  Unless that's too complicated then I'd just say have a fixed speed.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2017, 05:27:57 AM »
love-game.net/blockpusher

this is the game in question.... i did basically what u said, it uses the custom key repeat settings when selecting "option categories", but uses fixed settings when selecting/changing the actual options...... thanx for the feedback  :honeydew:

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »
Oh, I actually read it backwards.  I thought horizontal values would change the dropdown values for some reason.

But yeah, having it hardcoded for just those dropdowns seems good.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2017, 12:58:19 AM »
im replaying "blob attack" and its such a buggy mess lol, i got up to wave 20 or something and the game just randomly softlocked on me

and i cant even fix it easily because i used drag & drop instead of gml so the code is a nightmare

maybe i just shouldnt rerelease some of these old trash games.....