Author Topic: zonda: the link to a past randomizer  (Read 11730 times)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
zonda: the link to a past randomizer
« on: July 20, 2017, 03:59:43 AM »
any one here a fan of the "link to the past randomizer"? its a thing for lttp that randomly mixes up all the item locations (and some other things, like the crystals/pendants from dungeons are swapped around too) so for example the chest in links house with the lamp might have something cool like the hookshot, and instead of needing to beat three dumb dungeons to get the master sword u may just find it in a random chest, and meanwhile the master sword pedestal might just have a heart piece or some rupees or something....

if u want to see what its like heres a vid of a two-person race from a recent tournament....

anyways ive been watching streams of it for a while (if u go here theres pretty much always people playing it) & i finally just played my first seed, it took 4 hours & it was a lot of fun..... i dont even like regular lttp that much because the dungeons are horrible but the whole puzzle of figuring out what u can do with the items u have is really cool (u also get to do a lot of overworld exploration which is the good part of lttp)

some highlights from my run....
  • i got the master sword during the castle escape at the start of the game, then i didnt get any more sword upgrades until ganons tower
  • the fuckening pegasus boots were in the swamp palace, which i didnt check until like 2 hours in because it was a pendant dungeon and u normally dont need the pendants to beat the game
  • the other major item i was missing for a long time, the titans mitts, was dropped by the desert palace boss, which i couldnt reach without the pegasus boots
  • the big key in ganons tower can be in one of 22 possible locations and i checked all 22 and it was in the last one i checked
  • the silver arrows were in the ice palace, which was also a pendant dungeon, and i didnt go there until after i reached ganon (he tells u where the silver arrows are in case u havent found them by then)

u can randomize your rom at http://vt.alttp.run/randomizer but id recommend watching videos of people playing first because u need to know all the possible item locations pretty well, if u dont know about some obscure secret cave & the randomizer puts a required item there then u will be very stuck..... this guide is also very useful & points out a lot of things that trip up newbies

also look u can choose from a bunch of different cute character sprites.....
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
Re: zonda: the link to a past randomizer
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 05:16:25 AM »
oh cute.... did u see andi mcclure's stream of her co-op emulator hack? the items are synced with two players over the internet. so like if u get the hookshot then your partner gets it. apparently it works on the vanilla and randomizer roms... i'll post a vid as soon as i feel like sitting up n opening my comp

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 05:17:08 AM »
also i bought this game on wii vc years ago and never finished....... is it fun vanilla??

edit: oh duh u said it wasnt very good lol...

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 05:35:20 AM »
nah its a pretty good game the dungeons are just kinda fucked up.... i didnt like the dungeons on my original vanilla playthrough but i appreciated them more this time. i feel like they were purposely designed to be fucking annoying which i can kinda respect, i like the contrast between the generally nice overworld exploration stuff and then u find a dungeon and its just this stupid nightmare maze filled with garbage

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 05:37:19 AM »
oh cute.... did u see andi mcclure's stream of her co-op emulator hack? the items are synced with two players over the internet. so like if u get the hookshot then your partner gets it. apparently it works on the vanilla and randomizer roms... i'll post a vid as soon as i feel like sitting up n opening my comp
yeha i saw that.... she streams randomizer runs sometimes & thats how i found out about it

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 06:31:03 AM »
Ooh, this sounds cool.  I love me some LTTP as it was my first zordac.

Somewhat similar is the Dark Souls randomizer mod which was released a few months ago.  I'm planning on doing a run of that pretty soon.  Maybe I should do both?!??

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 06:37:37 AM »
both simultaneously even

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »
i actually felt the opposite i dislike exploration and i enjoyed the messed up dungeons with literally 13 floors. idk tho i just dont have much of an exploration heart i guess. i still havent finished breath of the wilde either u_u

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 05:11:51 AM »
played another seed of this, took 3 hours this time, it was garbo, i had all the items i needed to finish the game except for ether to open misery mire, and ether was in the secret cave on death mountain that you need to beat half of turtle rock to access, but turtle rock was a pendant dungeon and it takes a while to get there so it was the last place i checked, and after all that i had to actually beat misery mire which is the worst dungeon in the game (actually maybe ice palace is worse, not sure)

i kinda want to play another one even tho its past 1 am.....

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
ive been playing this a lot..... i just finished a seed where the pegasus boots were in the actual last chest in the game right before u fight the final bosses

ironically it was my fastest completion so far (about 2hrs 15mins)

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 11:28:43 AM »
nice!! :grape:

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 05:11:16 PM »
So I actually tried this a while back but basically ran into this problem:
id recommend watching videos of people playing first because u need to know all the possible item locations pretty well, if u dont know about some obscure secret cave & the randomizer puts a required item there then u will be very stuck.....
Was definitely an issue.

I'd also just played the game vanilla (but without looking up any guides) so I was less motivated to do another playthrough so soon.  womp womp

I'm playing an Ocarina of Time randomizer run right now though and I'm enjoying it more.  With the exception of some of the hidden grottos, there's generally a lot fewer super-technical and obscure secrets.

Still have gotten completely stuck 2-3 times already though.  How the heck does Epona's song help me.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 08:44:43 AM »
How the heck does Epona's song help me.
Aha.  Gerudo horseback riding minigame.  1,500 points to get the Song of Storms.  Now we're talking.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 03:09:48 AM »
Took me bloody ages to find the boss key in Ganon's castle.  Apparently there's an invisible chest in one of the trial rooms.  No compass to help either.

That was fun though!  Zelda games seem to work really well randomized.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 02:58:29 PM »
glad u had a fun....... ive watched some ocarina of time randomizer on a stream and it looked cute, u can do silly stuff like randomize what music plays in each area

i was thinking of trying la-mulana randomizer if i ever feel like playing a video game again....