Author Topic: jump3  (Read 102734 times)

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
Re: jump3
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 04:48:57 PM »
cutey graphics

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2017, 06:17:12 AM »
love-game.net/jump3/004 hey another update...... its got a bunch of new levs.....

theres also a controversial new "checkpoint" system.... its explained in the first two levels but basicaly u can press down when on the ground to set a checkpoint. u only get one checkpoint per stage but after u set it, u can choose to pick it back up and move it to another place..... however if u die while theres no checkpoint on screen its back to the start with ye

curious what everyone thinks of the check points and how u decide use them.....

btw any vgpersons out there may want to try beating the levels without using checkpoints or they might be too easy.....
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2017, 07:10:04 AM »

You can probably guess, but the vast majority of my Entrance X deaths were on the first jump, which took a while to even get certain of the right timing. The checkpoint would make that a lot easier though. The mechanics seem sound to me. Maybe you should denote it when you're able to beat a stage Without The Power Of Checkpoints (i.e. you're good at level start, you're not good if you respawn at a checkpoint, you're good again if you respawn at the beginning), but maybe it's not really necessary. Also I just came from doing most of the bosses no-damage in Cuphead so maybe don't listen to me.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2017, 07:26:02 AM »
i think the ending screen will have "number of checkpoints used" or something similar as a stat along with deaths/time..... & i was also thinking of having a final secret course unlocked by beating expert course checkpointless.... maybe i should be lenient and only count it if you actually respawn at a checkpoint (so you dont ruin your checkpointless run by accidentally placing a checkpoint) but i dont know how i would communicate that it works that way

interesting that the first jump of entrance x is that tough if u havent done it before.... did you do it by holding right the whole time or did you stop in between the last set of spikes? im not sure which way is easier.... maybe its too mean to make that the very first jump in expert course

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2017, 07:33:14 AM »
I think it's logical that a checkpoint won't count against you if it never actually gets used. But is there a reason why using them for a time but ultimately doing a complete run of the level shouldn't count?

I just held right and found like the only timing that gets you between the three on the bottom and top (jump at last second almost touching the top spikes, then jump lightly at lowest point possible). You aren't saying you can stand between spikes right next to each other, right?

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »
i meant did u do this

or this

i think the second method gives you a slightly bigger window to time the double jump, but the first method is nice since you dont need to stop moving....

I think it's logical that a checkpoint won't count against you if it never actually gets used. But is there a reason why using them for a time but ultimately doing a complete run of the level shouldn't count?
i just think its easier to explain the concept of "do not use checkpoints" than "checkpoints are allowed, but you have to eventually clear your checkpoint and beat the level from the beginning". the sentence "to unlock this, beat expert course without using checkpoints" is easy to understand but i cant think of a good concise way to communicate the second concept....

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2017, 07:59:47 AM »
More like the first one, though I feel like I must not be good at pressing jump for such a short time as to get a double jump that low - it feels like I'm able to make it through because I've cleared the spikes by the time I go that far up. So if it were four spikes long, I would need the super-short tap to make it.

If you said something like "beat expert without needing to use a checkpoint," that would make sense to me.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2017, 08:19:47 AM »
reading your post more closely it sounds like you did something like this?

geez doing it that way is hard..... no wonder

if you cant do hops of the same shortness as me thats maybe a problem..... i hope its not like an issue with your keyboard or something (in aiwanas theres a thing where certain keyboards cant do 1-frame taps & it makes some jumps impossible....)

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2017, 08:23:24 AM »
Yeah, that's it. My keyboard can do taps that let me double jump less than the distance between the spikes, it's just tricky.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2017, 08:45:18 AM »
can u post ur results for this Small Jumping Test.....

1. go to entrance x
2. press ctrl+F
3. tap jump as lightly as you can
4. the number of frames between key press and release will appear with each tap
5. post ur results

this was mine....

note that its effectively random whether a tap with length less than one frame returns 0 or 1..... this vid is a good explanation as to why

but ideally u should be able to hit either 0 or 1 pretty consistently.....

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2017, 08:53:51 AM »

Well.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2017, 09:01:34 AM »
wow interesting.... the jump at the start of entrance x is pretty tough to do with a 2-frame jump and much easier with a 1/0-frame. i guess maybe i should lock the minimum jump height at the 2-frame height and design the whole game around that? thats so weird......

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »
i hope there are no slow ass keyboards/gamepads that only hit 2/3 frames minimum or something instead of 1/2 or 0/1.... i dont have my gamepads with me to test how they perform

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2017, 09:35:26 AM »
"Beat expert without respawning at a checkpoint"?

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
what vg suggested is that you can set checkpoints and you can even respawn at them, but you arent allowed to complete a level starting from a checkpoint.... if you have a checkpoint active then you have to remove it, die and restart from the beginning, and then beat the level from the beginning without respawning at a checkpoint

it makes sense since it shouldnt really matter if you use checkpoints for practice or whatever as long as you eventually prove you can clear each level without a checkpoint.... but i still think it would be difficult to convey how it works