Author Topic: jump3  (Read 102686 times)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
Re: jump3
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2018, 05:51:32 AM »
cool keep up the good work gamer..... making big games like bogo seems hard
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2018, 06:52:10 AM »
Short Games Are Fake Actually

I'm extremely unsuited to making games that short... The sorts of gameplay ideas I have are usually ones I want to fully flesh out. More importantly, I'm all about Narrative Experiences now, which doesn't necessarily mean it can't be short, but I think it's way harder for me to have a good idea for a short story. Partly because in the same way, whenever I make characters now, I really want to fully explore them?? It's kind of legitimately a reason why I'd have a hard time making a Nakko or Combo Cutie sequel to my satisfaction, because those characters are fundamentally silly.

I am making relatively smaller games while I try to figure out Loverinth (which itself is often a matter of scope-narrowing), like All To Get Her and spoilers I'm working on a short-ish RPG now. But there's just nothing I'd want to throw together in a day and call done.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2018, 07:56:09 AM »
@sylvie thanks :-) id give u a cute but i dont wanna ruin your epic cute's level. i feel like with bogo we have the advantage that its not a completely cohesive experience, mechanically or aesthetically--which makes a lot of aspects of development less tough. however, there is the disadvantage that each minigame has its own systems which incurs some development overhead. sometimes i take a long time for that part because i have a tendency to design things like they are for full-length games...

@vg that mostly makes sense to me. i dont really understand why you'd have a hard time exploring fundamentally silly characters though--you can explore them in basically any direction!!!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:01:12 AM by hubol »

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2018, 08:09:14 AM »
I dunno, it's like, Combo Cutie has a world and characters where everyone's generally irreverent, and fixated on combos and other game-y stuff, and it's generally built on jokes like people being either Hardcores or Casuals (I could change that stuff, but like, it's good) - yet at the same time, these days, I'd probably want to somehow make a cool story with real characters out of that if I made a full-length game for them. That's a discrepancy I don't know if I could ever figure out a solution to, and probably will never try to anyway unless I get a really good idea for the gameplay. (Nakko is a similar deal, just ever-so-slightly more serious thanks to some elements of Bazookie.)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2018, 10:25:37 AM »
making a satisfying narrative for a one day game is probably rly hard.... i dont know anything about narraratives tho so i cant rly offer suggests....

shortgames i find are good for generating new gameplay ideas you would normally never come up with.... then if theyre good you can explore them more thoroughly later (4 example i want to make a big cactus block game someday)

i wonder if shortgames are also good for generating unusual narrative & character ideas if u approach them in that way  :honeydew:

it helps to have low standards too lol.... 5 example im pretty satisfied with flower garden even tho its kind of a nothing and i made it in <2 hours at 3 am because i was depressed. its still a cute little experience i think....

the vgperson brand doesnt really seem suited to small trashgames the way the sylvie & hubol ones are..... however i think it would be cute if u tryed making one or two (or 5000....) and just posted them for your cutey zone friends to see....!

i find long term projects kind of grueling.... it  feels nice to get back into making little cute things & sharing them with people  :watermelon:

thats also why i tried to do the thing where i post small playable updates of long term projects on my twitter, but that doesnt work for all games (especially narrative focused ones....) it doesnt really work for the current direction jump3 is going either

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2018, 10:39:30 AM »
It might be easier to fit more narrative into a smaller game if the gameplay is designed around repetition.  Like instead of creating a huge game world, you might take a game like Super Hexagon and find ways of integrating characters and story which is explored as you play.

(Don't do that with Super Hexagon though - that game is perfect as-is)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2018, 12:17:59 AM »

hey kitty racers..... ive updated the kitty racing game..... love-game.net/kittyracing

it now has "graphics", and the beloved sylvie options menu is available.....

i made the medal times a bit easier since juner said on twitter that even the bronze one was tuff.....

this version also records legal and illegal times separately (an illegal time is like if you dont collect all the stars)

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2018, 02:55:24 PM »
im still trying to make a Big Game Alt+0135 - but i think what's been difficult lately is just not really having specific thing that i want to make. like there's all sorts of gameplay elements and story ideas that i thought were cool when i was younger but now im like ehhhhhh. i kind of am just trying to capture a certain tone, but it's hard to get it and still have it be an interesting grame that i would actually want to play.

maybe ill try my hand at a really short gimmick game i think that might be a nice change of pace.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:02:13 PM by dcco »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2018, 03:16:24 PM »
yeha i feel like these days its hard for me to come up with BiggGame ideas that arent extremely vague and formless..... i used to have tons of cool game ideas but most of them were way too ambitious to ever be finished..... now that i know how to reign in that ambition its harder to come up with anything interesting lol

i think the most concrete ideas i have are actually just expanded versions of small games ive made (cactus block x, return to cat planet, titled tower game, super resa world....)

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2018, 09:55:29 PM »
whens return to cat planet coming out

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2018, 10:15:33 PM »
hopefully for the 10th anniversary (december 13 2019)

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2018, 12:07:08 AM »
wow im excited for it

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 14, 2018, 12:12:06 AM »
yeha i havent actually started working on it yet but its gona be sweet.....

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2018, 12:16:46 AM »
cat planet is 10 years olnd??? ........

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 14, 2018, 12:25:42 AM »
happy 10 year birthday cat planet........