Author Topic: jump3  (Read 102709 times)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
Re: jump3
« Reply #225 on: February 18, 2018, 09:04:36 PM »
i think i accidentally found the "easter egg"? im not sure what triggers it but the clowns face uhhh changes sometimes
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 18, 2018, 09:25:55 PM »
i think this is my first time programming a turn based rpg battle system actually.... im thinking about how to structure it & it just seems like a pain in the ass no matter what

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 18, 2018, 09:30:13 PM »
i dont like all this "planning and forethought" shit im having to do i wanna just make some crap.....

cati

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2018, 11:13:57 PM »
yeahhhhhhh i hate setting up all the backend systems at the start of gamedev every time it's so boring. its fine once the basics are there and things start working and you can just start playing about with what those systems actually do but like 99% of anything i try to make dies as soon i realise my e p i c   v i d e o g a m e   i d e a   t h a t   n e e d s   t o   b e    m a d e also needs me to set up the controls and the underlying logic and zzzzzz

i dont even know if theres any shortcuts here given that even if i set up a skeleton project, finding and tweaking all the variables to load in the right assets and everything else takes more time than if i just started from scratch

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2018, 11:45:44 PM »
you could make tiny rpg entirely console-based

also click the clown is truly a classik

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 18, 2018, 11:45:54 PM »
i have a "base project" file which implements the options menu thats in all my games and some other basic stuff like input handling and sizing the screen properly, & i find it much easier & nicer to use that than to start from a blank project..... i dont know how i ever got the motivation to make that thing tho

loading assets seems like it would be really annoying in things that dont have a graphical interface for it like game maker..... im not even sure what the best way to do that would be, like have some file where u copy paste in all the file paths or something? for sprites would you have to like specify the animation lengths and stuff manually? ugh

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 18, 2018, 11:53:40 PM »
@finding files - it's not too difficult to just have it search for all files of a certain extension in a folder / subfolders and load them all up.

for sprites i had this system where each image was actually two layers, and one of the layers contained a bunch of metadata. however i recently switched to a thing where everything is just stored in giant 8x8 tilesets and i act like im working in assembly or something. (but yeha i have a giant lookup table with all the offsets and other data)

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 18, 2018, 11:54:48 PM »
id say i spend like 90% of my game dev time writing extensive boilerplate code + libraries that i rewrite every few months  :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #233 on: February 19, 2018, 12:00:29 AM »
The Hot Strat I use with Unity is to just make animations in GM8, save them with that so they become strips, and run with the "_strip4" notation it uses. To improve performance a bit, I do actually go like "arrow = loadTextureStrip("System/Arrow", 5)", specifying the animation frames manually so it doesn't have to guess, but I think you could be lazy and have it load every asset in specific folders into a dictionary, then reference that using frame-count-less names. In fact that's probably a great way to do it, though ideally, you'd only actually load resources as they need to be used.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 19, 2018, 12:05:46 AM »
game maker 8 best animation program 2009

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 19, 2018, 01:12:44 AM »
!!! unusual clown activity detected in my alt-tab menu !!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #236 on: February 19, 2018, 01:22:12 AM »
i think i will try to make something dumb in game maker in a few hours

juner

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 101
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 19, 2018, 01:23:44 AM »
trying to make a lil puzzly... spent a bit too long failing to get some animations working and it's kinda bedtime already but i might just stay up to finish the game part of it...

it's called sokosoko

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 19, 2018, 01:25:23 AM »
wow glad everyones jammin!! :apple: :orange:

cati

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 19, 2018, 01:28:29 AM »

i made another game  :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

it's something ive been wanting to make for a while but i finally did it yall