Author Topic: jump3  (Read 102935 times)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
Re: jump3
« Reply #240 on: February 19, 2018, 01:30:33 AM »
holy smokes..... i probably wont play it until im done my game tho :honeydew:
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

juner

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 101
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 19, 2018, 01:34:01 AM »
i just thought of a cool idea for sokosoko but also started feelin ill & fatigued... will try and finish and submit tomorrow instead!!! sorry!!!

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #242 on: February 19, 2018, 01:38:07 AM »
shuxxx i dont have a numpad to play hold up! also i gave up after making one sprite in game maker...

also here's how we load hot sprites into asshat engine

so yeah you have to manually write how many subimages, but there are also some little tags that begin with _ that do other shit

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 19, 2018, 03:34:51 AM »
dang hubs you r missing out by not making a game maker game...... check out this line of code i just wrote :tomato:
Code: [Select]
targeting_mode = skill_type[skill_get_id(selected_skill[?player])];(map[?key] is special gm syntax for accessing the value corresponding to a key in a ds_map, selected_skill is a ds_map that stores the currently selected skill for each battler, battler skill data is stored in ds_lists (one list per skill), skill_get_id is a script that just returns the element of the ds_list containing the skill id, skill_type is an array that stores for each skill id whether the skill targets a single enemy, a single party member, all enemies, etc.)

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 19, 2018, 03:42:29 AM »
actually that code is wrong, because the selected_skill map stores an integer corresponding to the position in the battlers ds_list of all skills of the currently selected skill data ds_list, rather than the skill data ds_list itself. the correct code is
Code: [Select]
targeting_mode = skill_type[skill_get_id(player.skills[|selected_skill[?player]])];(list[|item] is shorthand for ds_list access, it would be even worse if i had to use the ds_list_whatever functions)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 19, 2018, 04:10:29 AM »
rpg battles are really hard actually..... im just realizing that i cant just have all battlers do their skills in order, for example if someone uses the "defend" skill, that has to be processed before all attacks against that battler so it can actually reduce damage taken..... so instead of just having skills happen immediately i have to build a skill list or something for each turn and then sift through it to figure out what actually goes down

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #246 on: February 19, 2018, 05:12:19 AM »
skill_get_id is a script that just returns the element of the ds_list containing the skill id

hold on............... are you telling me there are convenient ways to access shit from ds_map but not ds_list?? if the problem is that skill_get_id has to iterate through the whole list,..,,.,., why isnt it just a ds_map instead

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #247 on: February 19, 2018, 05:14:18 AM »
ok wait i saw the thing about [|nusty] working...... why the heck do you have to do use skill_get_id though

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2018, 05:28:48 AM »
oh its not necessary, its just better than using a magic number and having like list[|5] everywhere in the code or whatever. (the skill id is actually list[|0] but i have other similar functions for cleanly manipulating the other skill data)

i could also have defined an enum for the positions of different data in the list, and then i could write like list[|skill_data.skill_id] or something..... actually thats probably marginally better for performance than using script wrappers but whatever

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #249 on: February 19, 2018, 05:45:17 AM »
ohhhh now i see. god all this junk when u could just have a skill class or enum with some fields/methods to retrieve properties....

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 19, 2018, 07:01:03 AM »
im going to bed lol..... heres what ive got so far https://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/node/11011

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 19, 2018, 07:05:08 AM »
clown status:

juner

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 101
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 19, 2018, 03:46:30 PM »
sokosoko! fairly short, i'll try and add in an undo button later

https://juner.itch.io/sokosoko

do i just press "add comment" to post my game on the jam page??

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 19, 2018, 03:50:29 PM »
the clown survived my computer hibernating......

my laptop actually has a full ass numpad for some reason so i was able to play hold up...... i like the silly sprites..... the game is a little busted without a stamina meter or something similar because you can just switch between mashing the top, middle and bottom rows of the numpad to clear out everything very quickly. im sure that strat fails eventually but it seems like it would take a really long time (i stopped after 1000 points)

i like the concept tho, i would check out an expanded version if u made one :dancedog:

oh hold on juner ill explain how gt submission works its a bit unintuitive

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 19, 2018, 03:52:35 PM »
you click "post" on the sidebar, then "game", then in the form that pops up, make sure "event created for" (near the bottom) is set to bedtime jam. ignore the "made for" box, its a weird legacy thing i think