Author Topic: Video Games in 1918: Back to Basics  (Read 64764 times)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
Re: Video Games in 1918: Back to Basics
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 05:32:00 PM »
i think the fact that theres a big checklist of moons to get in mario makes a big difference, plus the hint system makes it actually feasible to find them all on your own, so theres more pressure to "do everything".... in botw 100% is basically hopeless so u just do as much as you want. i feel like thats either a strength or a weakness depending on how you feel about completionism in videogame
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 05:37:03 PM »
i think its cool in some ways that im leaving behind breath of the weath with a bunch of things left as mysterys but i also liked the sense of closure from getting all the moons in mario.... idk
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

Giik

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 44
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 08:46:08 PM »
in 2017 i didn't really buy that much vidya mostly because the switch was 'spensive (botw and odyssey were grEAT though)

i think that trend will kinda continue for this year, i'm not really keeping track of upcoming game releases outside of what nintendo directs and stuff announces.

lately though i've been playing stardew, rain world, children of zodiarcs, and wonder wickets (beta testing!~). all of them seem pretty underrated except for stardew so i'd say check 'em out

and of course there's my own game wink wink nudge nudge
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:49:59 PM by Giik »

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 11:44:48 PM »
i think the fact that theres a big checklist of moons to get in mario makes a big difference, plus the hint system makes it actually feasible to find them all on your own, so theres more pressure to "do everything".... in botw 100% is basically hopeless so u just do as much as you want. i feel like thats either a strength or a weakness depending on how you feel about completionism in videogame

yeha lol!!!! this seems about right! i guess mario's way of doing it doesnt work for me but i can totally see why the zeldon one would be really frustrating for hard-cored completionists......

wear's the cutey thread about your new game?????? cutey thread or it didnt happen

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 04:25:06 AM »

yeha lol!!!! this seems about right! i guess mario's way of doing it doesnt work for me but i can totally see why the zeldon one would be really frustrating for hard-cored completionists......

wear's the cutey thread about your new game?????? cutey thread or it didnt happen
i mean http://cutey.zone/index.php?topic=117.0 is kinda where i talked about it but i don't have a dedicated thread for it yet

juner

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 101
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 01:47:34 PM »
Uurnog Uurnlimited is a cool game, i'm glad Nifflas made a spiritual successor to Lyle In Cube Sector!

Oceanfarm is looking good! The water splash effects are v cute and knowledge-based progression is always a thing i get excited about

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 02:10:43 PM »
I actually played a bit of Uurnog from the Humble Trove.  Didn't grab me enough to finish it, but it had some interesting mechanics and puzzles.  Lots of different solutions to approach problems.

Though I think I died and lost all my money, so I lost interest at that point.

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 11:33:49 PM »
Uurnog Uurnlimited is a cool game, i'm glad Nifflas made a spiritual successor to Lyle In Cube Sector!

Oceanfarm is looking good! The water splash effects are v cute and knowledge-based progression is always a thing i get excited about
okay do you mean like adding things to a journal in-game or the roguelike-esque "i'm good at the game because i played it like 500 times"

because both are hell yeah

juner

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 12:53:31 AM »
okay do you mean like adding things to a journal in-game or the roguelike-esque "i'm good at the game because i played it like 500 times"

the journal definitely! i guess i mean stuff like, there's obstacles or puzzles that are entirely possible to solve immediately but in likelihood you'll have to come back to em later on because you don't yet understand how to interact with or solve em, or even know that they're puzzles. i suppose i'm thinking of games like The Witness and Toki Tori 2, with the latter having a secret sequence-break right near the start of the game that new players will just overlook since they aren't yet aware of the puzzle mechanics and interactions that make it possible.

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 02:52:46 AM »

the journal definitely! i guess i mean stuff like, there's obstacles or puzzles that are entirely possible to solve immediately but in likelihood you'll have to come back to em later on because you don't yet understand how to interact with or solve em, or even know that they're puzzles. i suppose i'm thinking of games like The Witness and Toki Tori 2, with the latter having a secret sequence-break right near the start of the game that new players will just overlook since they aren't yet aware of the puzzle mechanics and interactions that make it possible.
Oh hell yeah that's some good shit

a good portion of the puzzles from the start won't be able to be solved though since you just haven't found the right plants yet, but if you know how to get to them you can totally route a speedrun

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 06:01:58 PM »
I've played through DS2 twice now.
Three times now!  Just finished an SL1 run on Dark Souls 2.  Found a lot of new things on this run, including two shortcuts I didn't know about.  Some really good attention to detail in this game.

Probably a more interesting SL1 run than the first game too, because late-game stat boosting gear opens up a bunch of new weapon choices.  Definitely way harder than DS1, though. The boss  [sp]Throne Watcher and Defender[/sp] reck'd't'd me for three hours before I got their moveset completely down.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 06:04:49 PM »
Sorry if that's humble braggy I'm just excited to have beaten it and don't know who to tell.

juner

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 06:21:28 PM »
congratulations! cool that you're still discovering shortcuts and stuff even on a third playthrough

really satisfying when you finally peg down a boss. like you've been slowly learning how to dance with em

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 06:46:01 PM »
Very much so.  Often times on a regular build you can just tank your way through a boss, without ever really learning it.  So that's a big part of the draw of challenge runs IMO.

Also, there's route planning involved which can be fun.  Getting certain weapons or equipment becomes way more important when you're artificially limited in some way, so map knowledge becomes a huge asset.

Can heartily recommend if you're looking for a fresh experience.

Tinister

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 04:59:19 PM »
All ya'll 1%ers playing Dark Souls and here I am trying to race to beat Demon's Souls before the servers shut down.

I'm not doing very good at it.