Author Topic: Video Games in 1918: Back to Basics  (Read 64651 times)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
Re: Video Games in 1918: Back to Basics
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2018, 06:40:18 AM »

was thinkin about this old ass post i made.... these are the freeware indy games i thought were hot shit in 2006 (other than helix stuff i guess. in fact theres no game maker games on the list, maybe i assumed ppl knew about em already)

some of them are true classix of course like cave story and lyle. original noitu love was a bit sketchy from what i remember but i played the hell out of it nonetheless

then theres the less memorable ones.... akuji and within a deep forest were on all the blogs back in teh day but when was the last time u thought about them? maybe it was recently but thats not the case for me

grounstream being on there makes me laff.... i was so desperate for anything vaugely cave story like or metroidvania like in those days.... not that grounstream was bad but it was a jp only game that you kinda had to brute force your way thru and i gave up a few areas in

theres some games that i feel shouldve left a bigger impact on me than they did..... obake was a very very well made kirby-like platformer but it just doesnt stick out much in my mind.... a game with a kitty has a kitty in it so it shouldve been my shit but i dont remember much about it..... i think i went on kitty game authors website a while ago and it has like 6 or 7 sequels? i should check em out.....

eternal daughter is a very memorable one but kinda for the wrong reasons..... its like very nice and polished aesthetically but its the most brutally difficult metroidvania ive ever played.... i got really into it & eventually beat it but i dont think i could handle a game like that these days.....

another funny one is douglas circumstance..... i didnt even play it lol i think i just saw that it had a good review on home of the underdogs. i googled it & apparently there was a kickstarter for a new one at some point

if u remember allthe games on this list youre a true indy gamer..... im not because i forgot what "gambare natsuki san" is for like 10mins. i eventually remembered its the one thats like umihara kawase but without physics but i had to google to make sure i was right

the spirit engine was a pretty unique game iirc, it was like a side view rpg, but not a platformer, just side view and it had a neat battle system probably. i think i got bored of it after a few areas

uhhh guardian no rakuen was a decent zelda clone with cute graphics i think, i forget if i played it before or after a translation patch came out. its by the same person as akuji i think.... wait was it actually "guardian no rakuen" and not "rakuen no guardian"?? or did i just fuck up

yeha i dont know how to end this post..... ~indygrame memorys~ :honeydew:
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2018, 07:23:35 AM »
Grounstream and Douglas Circumstance are the only ones I don't remember in some way, since I don't think I ever played those. I'm pretty sure Noitu Love 1 is still pretty great, even if it's amateur now compared to his other games. Akuji is more forgettable, but Within A Deep Forest is actually sort of classic in some... ... ... ...circles? (I think it was in a GDQ once.) Obake has the best main theme ever put to MIDI but that's about all I remember for sure. Game With A Kitty and the other games by that person are good, but just kind of there. Eternal Daughter completely owns and deserves all the recognition and I'd play a remake of that over Spelunky 2. The Spirit Engine was cool, though I remember nearly nothing about it and never played the sequel. It's Rakuen no Guardian, and I'm fairly sure we were playing it before the translation.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2018, 07:58:07 AM »
yeha i think my memorys of noitu love 1 are tainted by trying to beat the hardest difficulty where every enemy takes a billion hits and u basically do the same combo over and over. its probably fine on normal or whatever

eternal daughter is weird its like..... very good if you are in the right mindset. which i was for a certain time in my life and i beat it and i think i got 101% or whatever the max was and i replayed it to experiment with sequence breaks and stuff. but i remember trying to go back to it (and also the first time i played it) & the difficulty just felt completely impenetrable..... its a very different experience from most metroidvanias thats 4 sure

also i found this kool top 10 list by tim indygames: http://indygamer.blogspot.ca/2007/01/top-10-freeware-platformers-2006.html

a bunch of the ones i listed are there.... on the game maker side of things theres poyo (was pretty cool iirc) and painajainen (seiklus clone that left no impression on me). theres also some wacky stuff i dont remember at all and never played

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 08:52:46 AM »
oh you know how people were saying celeste makes you feel like you can overcome any challenge it throws at you.... eternal daughter is like, the exact opposite of that feeling constantly

i think thats why i feel conflicted about it... i dislike the "make every challenge feel doable" school of design to some extent, because then actually completing the challenges can feel like a routine timesink (thats why i never finished super meat boy.... got boring) but my memory of eternal daughter is that it leans way hard into "make every challenge feel crushingly hopeless"

i used to play aiwanas though & i was down with the hopelessness there so i guess my feelings about difficulty just change arbitrarily all the time. i feel like im more about the mild difficulty lately

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2018, 11:55:40 AM »
I used to try and always play games on the hardest difficulty, probably for some macho reason.  It was Spec Ops: The Line that made me realize though that it just wasn't as fun.  I wasn't there to experience the story, not learn how to exploit the AI in silly ways to progress.

Some games I still enjoy the difficult and go back and try and make them harder (like I posted about Dark Souls challenge runs lately).  But for a first time experience I don't mind playing on lower difficulties anymore.

I haven't actually played most of these games listed above so that's all I can contribute.

juner

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 101
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2018, 08:29:08 PM »
also i found this kool top 10 list by tim indygames: http://indygamer.blogspot.ca/2007/01/top-10-freeware-platformers-2006.html
treasure tower!!! i really loved that game!!!

two formative gamemaker games which i think about a lot are ball fall and wubly

some good indie game memories today

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2018, 11:07:01 PM »
wubly was cool..... actually i was kinda anti wubly back in the day because when you get to the harder levels its basically just a memorization game & that pissed me off. i still played it a lot tho

it had that fucked up feature where you have to feed your virtual wubly pet regularly or else it will die and your save file gets erased. good shit

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 01:00:30 AM »
im so into that virtual pet aspect lol

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2018, 01:03:30 AM »
yeha i was thinking about how hubol that mechanic is

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 02:48:38 PM »
yeah defs a lot of old game maker games + mario fan games + flash games + other rando games that i have nostalgia for even though they were all probs like way less polished than a lot of the indie market these days. i feel like people used to be more ambitious in scope.

also an irl friend of mine was like "hey have you heard of this game before" and he showed me Celeste classic. i replayed it for nostalgia - kinda interested in learning the any% run. i like the movement now i think more than i did at first, and when i did 100% i actually did it pretty quickly (given that it was blind). it was p satisfying tbh

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 03:10:36 PM »
ive heard multiple people in my local grames dev club talk about celeste & someone brought their switch & was playing it..... its weird seeing a mattgame get so popular

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 03:36:08 PM »
Did you ever decide to give the movement/collisions talk?

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 03:39:30 PM »
nah not sure about it yet.... it would probably take a lot of time to prepare the talk if i did it

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2018, 03:51:35 PM »
ive heard multiple people in my local grames dev club talk about celeste & someone brought their switch & was playing it..... its weird seeing a mattgame get so popular

yeha i was trying rela hard not to just start talking about Jumper 2

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2018, 03:54:47 PM »
have any of you guys played untitled recently? how do you feel like it holds up to matt's newer *good* games?