Author Topic: Video Games in 1918: Back to Basics  (Read 64687 times)

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
Re: Video Games in 1918: Back to Basics
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2018, 04:05:35 PM »
nah not sure about it yet.... it would probably take a lot of time to prepare the talk if i did it
Probably.  Might be kinda fun though, and it sounds like your group is welcoming to that sort of thing.

One cool thing about teaching is that it lets you really solidify your own knowledge on a topic.  Like it's easy to kinda know something, but when you actually write it down and decide to start testing your assumptions you get to fill in the knowledge gaps that you haven't needed to explore before.  That in itself can be really rewarding and helpful.

Anyway I think it's a good idea, if it's something you're interested in doing.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2018, 04:06:37 PM »
have any of you guys played untitled recently? how do you feel like it holds up to matt's newer *good* games?
I've been itching to play through it again recently.  There's probably some GameMaker jank in there but I remember the game being really smooth at the time.  Plus I have a soft spot for metroidvanias.

cati

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 67
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 05:08:06 PM »
i still miss untitled's beta's boss music and also hey remember when it was just called untitled? and iirc some of us liked that name better for some reason???? probably myself included????? probably only me actually?????????
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:14:43 PM by cait »
this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 05:58:42 PM »
i think i mightve liked it better too.... actually thinking about it now i dont know which one i like better
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2018, 07:52:59 PM »
Preferred Untitled but was happy with the compromise.

The old powerup explanation screens were way better too.

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2018, 08:24:11 PM »
Yeah, the title change is kind of a very literal reflection of how it went from "this is a weird exploration game with almost no text" to "this is a weird exploration game with text and a story." It did have a cool feel when it was like that, but I'm guessing he didn't think it was sustainable, or was too limiting.

In that context, though, thinking back on some of the things that did use text is real weird. Like how you could buy a house, and furniture for it??

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2018, 09:58:24 PM »
i think the only reason the house existed was an excuse to buy the minigames for the hearts, otherwise it makes absolutely no sense lol

i was telling a friend about untitled recently too since theyre getting really into celeste. i also wonder how much it holds up. i bet those midi tunes are still hot as hell. there are like 30 games on my plate but maybe i'll make some time to play untitled again

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2018, 06:32:11 AM »
im watching this untitled sneed run.....

its reminding me how much i hated the boss design in this game lol..... so much waiting

apparently the ice upgrade is like just in this random ass side room in deepdive? i wouldve thought itd be somewhere more distinctive

also somehow i totally forgot that the bandit birds existed?? even though there was like a whole multiplayer mode with them or whatever (was that even in the final game or did it get cut? i dont actually remember)

im only like 17 minutes in ill probaly have more thoughts later.....

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2018, 06:40:54 AM »
god the ghosts were the worst.... not the evil storyline ghosts i mean those dumb blue enemy ghosts that chase you in like the curtain & blackcastle

speaking of ghosts, remember when teh nightclimb boss was just a circle instead of a really goofy lookin ghost.... and it was also like absurdly hard or something.....

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2018, 06:45:12 AM »
other stuff i forgot about: the entire area "mountside"

did the ninja always have a unique extremely radical boss theme? i thought it was just the regular one..... was that added in one of teh updates or something

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2018, 06:56:32 AM »
lol on simple when you run out of air in deepdive you only lose 1 hp per second..... whats even the point

also fuck that heart in deepdive where you just jump into a random square of land from the bottom and theres no visual hint or anything

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2018, 06:59:51 AM »
as soon as the speed runner entered icecastle i had this reflexive "ughhh" reaction and i dont even really know why. was it that bad of an area

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2018, 07:04:54 AM »

the circled spikes are fake and theres a secret passage underneath them. what the fuck matt

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2018, 07:16:24 AM »
i also forgot about "undertomb", the secret area you find by ground pounding a random unmarked space on the beach...... i guess this is what the in-game hint system is for

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2018, 07:42:08 AM »
The multiplayer is definitely in the final game and was probably a prophecy for TowerFall. I forget what the ice upgrade is actually used for, but I don't think important upgrades being in unceremonious places is necessarily unusual in Metroidvanias - I feel like the Ice Beam in Super Metroid is kind of just there. MountSide is weird and I always thought it was strange to have a purely horizontal area you just warp to in this game. TheNinja always had that music. UnderTomb was added in an update, which is why it's weird and hidden strangely.