Author Topic: Oceanfarm  (Read 22461 times)

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
Re: Oceanfarm
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 03:27:04 PM »
interesting. how are you enjoying all the amazing new features

Giik

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 44
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 03:47:24 PM »
they're..............eh
i understand the purpose of a lot of revisions; they're switching to a large reliance on "layers" instead of pure depth, which helps a lot with organization, and tilesets and backgrounds are both just sprites now, with tilesets just tacking on extra properties to an existing sprite, which is a really nice unification of assets

the new tileset format is really throwing me off. all i need to do is replace like, a couple tile_adds, a tile_exists and a tile_delete, 'cept i don't really know which functions are supposed to replace them yet. that and me worrying about code optimization makes me conflicted if i should just go with the standard -y thing as usual and just have a fuckton of tile layers.
also annoying is how i apparently need to make every tile a square, which i'm not actually doing; the vertical tiles are 16x8, since a z-level is 8 pixels instead of 16
there's a blog post on gm's website that has an alternative method of depth by having the tiles be all on the same layer, tilt every sprite, and use a custom shader and a z-buffer to cut off sprites behind terrain. it all seems really confusing and with a lot of caveats that don't really seem worth it

The UI is.........i don't like it. i liked being able to have separate windows for everything since you could like, have one code window be fullscreen, but now it's trapped in this tiny little workspace mini-window and like wtf

overall i think it's more a matter of getting aquainted with the new UI than outright bad decisions, but it's still frustrating to be set back so far

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 03:58:26 PM »
wow none of that sounds great to me..... good luck with that tiling nonsense

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »
wow none of that sounds great to me..... good luck with that tiling nonsense
the thing with that is that you can have layers specifically for backgrounds and tiles, so they aren't just instances drawing sprites to replace it. the actual images are sprites, but the behavior is pretty much the same as before

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2018, 07:17:41 AM »
I got it all working and even better now thanks to some fancy new shaders here https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/458/z-tilting-shader-based-2-5d-depth-sorting

took a while to actually get working cause gamemaker added a script that fucked with it when i imported it from 1.4 to 2 and i have no idea why

now that i'm getting more accustomed to gms 2 a lot of the changes are really handy; there's a huge reliance on "layers" now. everything is in layers. backgrounds, tilesets, instances, everything. one of the cool things is you can have "sprite" layers, which you can plonk down any sprite onto without having to make each one an instance

that, and HUD can just be its own layer that's kept on top of everything too. i don't have to use a surface for that, hooray!

here's a new vaulting animation that i've partially implemented. i'll have to experiment with the relationship between animation and code to make it all look right. at the moment it just instantly warps the player's coordinates to the ending point, and plays the animation of them climbing up. it's goooood but kinda clunky so i wanna figure out a cooler solution

but yeah, back on track now! <3

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2018, 08:33:05 AM »
wow i dont really get that shader thing but its cool that you can use 3d stuff to handle depth in a purely 2d pixel art game. im surprised it actually seems to work well and isnt janky as hell
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2018, 12:53:17 PM »
orthographic projection is the only reason this sort of thing can work nicely. ortho good

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 08:10:42 AM »

wanna go shopping

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2018, 06:27:04 PM »
https://giik.itch.io/oceanfarm-demoday19 AGDG's doin' a demo day thing so i submitted a super early terrible build of OF

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2018, 07:11:29 PM »
is agdg real or is that agdq typo

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2018, 09:03:14 PM »
is agdg real or is that agdq typo
Amateur Game Development General
it's a 4chan thing apparently but i'm just on their discord

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2018, 12:20:43 AM »
i LOVE 4chan

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2018, 09:18:21 PM »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2018, 10:09:53 PM »
woha cute fx.......
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2018, 06:35:19 AM »

i temporarily lost the art direction but i found it again

i'm gonna try taking a page from Knytt's book in terms of the terrain art; The tiling is easily recognizable, but still appealing to look at. So things like polkadots, chekerboards, stripes, stuff like that. I'm calling it "quilt-like".