Author Topic: JIGGLY ZONE  (Read 28938 times)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
Re: JIGGLY ZONE
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2018, 06:05:42 PM »
thanks im glad you got something out of it even if u didnt finish.... i think the game is a bit repetitive yeha because of the level design style. me n hubs want to make more games togehter i think
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »
u know it :dancedog:

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2018, 08:49:41 PM »
hello cutey zoners :honeydew: JIGGLY ZONE: Game Of The Year Edition is in need of some playtesting..... love-game.net/JIGGLYZONE_GOTY.zip

it has some level design changes to balance out the powerups better ([sp]gravity flipping[/sp] was nearly useless before) and to make the final area more climactic (but maybe its a little too hard now?)

it also adds a super hard "second quest" that only true JIGGLERS will be able to clear...... the method to unlock it is revealed if you beat the first quest & wait 10 seconds on the end screen or if u read this spoiler [sp]press ctrl+J on the title screen[/sp]

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2018, 08:45:17 AM »
hmm maybe im just being overly impatient but people here domt seem too excited about the JIGGLY ZONE...... both now & when it was originally posted...... did everyone get bored before finishing like cook?

most of the feedback has been positive but maybe its kind of a hit or miss game & the people for whomst its a miss are too nice to say so......

makes me anxious about how the raocow lp is going to go.....

juner

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 101
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2018, 10:19:57 AM »
sory, i've been too busy and fatigued to play much stuff in general recently :(
going away with work but i'll try and play some if i get time in the evenings

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2018, 11:43:31 AM »
ahhh thats ok sorey for being pressurey :(

Giik

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 44
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2018, 07:15:27 PM »
hmm maybe im just being overly impatient but people here domt seem too excited about the JIGGLY ZONE...... both now & when it was originally posted...... did everyone get bored before finishing like cook?

most of the feedback has been positive but maybe its kind of a hit or miss game & the people for whomst its a miss are too nice to say so......

makes me anxious about how the raocow lp is going to go.....
eh

it exists

I quit at the challenge for the uhhh
thing in the purple zone you need the gravity flip for

it just felt really like
not a lot of thought put into the level design, there was a lot of just noise of terrain or spikes and i didn't wanna try slipping through one-tile holes

it felt like cat planet but like, half asleep and depressed

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2018, 07:35:47 PM »
interesting. i think the chaos of the environment and the flexibility of JIGGLER's moveset is what makes navigating the game fun for me. its playing with fundamentals of The Platformer Genre

as for being anxious about the raocow lp, the game is short enough that i think everything will be fine. the JIGGLERs and treasures and wack art are interesting enough

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2018, 07:40:20 PM »
oh also little shit like being able to jump on the hud makes me laugh every time

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2018, 07:46:40 PM »
It's a weird game, but it's fun, and [sp]"I am pirate, skilled with sword, run away instead of toward"[/sp] is the best dialogue I've ever read.

I tried the second quest, but got stuck wandering around aimlessly with nothing but [sp]the gravity powerup[/sp]. Which is probably the biggest issue for me - without manually keeping track of door connections (which seems like just enough of a pain for me to not bother doing it), you can very easily spend lots of time not knowing where you haven't explored until you finally stumble upon it.

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2018, 07:56:41 PM »
i was wondering if a map ala kirby games would maybe help with this?

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2018, 08:15:36 PM »
another option is showing the connected room information when youre in front of a door

pros:
less work to implement than a map
more readable than the kirby map

cons:
doesnt show where the doors in the other room lead to

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2018, 08:19:04 PM »
on second thought, that wouldnt be all that helpful since you can just enter/exit the door to see that infomration lol............

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2018, 08:55:02 PM »
the lack of level design in the level design is very intentional, the levs are all procgen garbage with some tweaks to make things harder/easier/possible/impossible depending on what the generator came up with

the game was inspired by this secret lev i made for cute jump where i basically just placed a ton of blocks and spikes arbitrarily. i spent a lot of time exploring it and trying to figure out which parts of the screen were actually reachable. i found it really interesting to do all these weird ass movements and jumps that would never arise in normal levels and i liked the puzzle-like feeling of trying to reach specific places, with no guidance from the shape and structure of the level

i guess some people like that and some just dont even find it remotely interesting. i hope raocow is one of the people who likes it

i think the random nature of the levels creates interesting situations like i said but theres also a sense of bland uniformity.... i have actually never really liked procgen level design for that very reason. i tried to put some human elements into it via the dialogue and chest placement to counteract the blandness but its probably not enough for some people

the second quest is probably a bust if even the legendary vgperson couldnt do it.... ill remove it i think. it was basically just me making up a challenge run for myself anyways

a map would be helpful but im not sure where in the game i would put it

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2018, 09:10:59 PM »
I mean, I'm good at ridiculous platforming, but pretty bad at navigation without a map, so that's the only reason why. I also never beat Kirby and the Amazing Mirror because of this, and in general dislike exploration-based games without decent maps.

Also, for example, I tried to get down to the part of the water area where the upgrade was, but there was a part that seemed impossible with what I had. If it turned out there was a way to get through, however, I would probably never progress without a definitive way of knowing that was my only option left. So yeah, ideally I would just map it out, but I was lazy. I might try it again when I have some time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:13:14 PM by vgperson »