Author Topic: attention very important  (Read 10694 times)

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
Re: attention very important
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 03:19:11 AM »
well it's not game mechanics, it's more like the plot. like just the basic setup "X is at Y go beat them." i want to include tho because it's a metroidvania-ish thing. i could just dump them right in with no explanation, and just make the start very linear but i feel like it's p unengaging. on the other end i could do long cutscene but i actually usually hate games with those.

i feel like showing and telling with plot is super hard compared to gameplay tbh. like i could just open up with a long cutscene and stuff but tbh i feel like most games i play with that kind of thing are really boring / wanna skip all the text. but then doing it interactively requires a ton of setup. like DOOM does it really well i feel like. the opening gives a good sense of atmosphere + while not being boring. or like link to the past i think does a good job of making the opening non-action parts really concise.

wilde32

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 24
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Consider replacing your battery.
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 03:39:11 AM »
i like the untitled story method of knowing nothing to start off with and you learn from the environment around you.

TheGucc

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 04:05:00 AM »
hbu more like hubol

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 04:07:08 AM »
i like the untitled story method of knowing nothing to start off with and you learn from the environment around you.

yeah but this doesnt work for a game with a plot, unless the protag has amnesia or something. actually im pretty sure this is why amnesia is such a common trope in jorpgs

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 04:12:00 AM »
i mean actually you could kind of do it, maybe like the mc gets a phone call or something / somebody tells them something - but i feel like that has the same problem in terms of making the beginning of the game pretty boring bc then the start of it is just filler.

or you could put them into a really wild action sequence or something but it's pretty challenging from a technical standpoint i feel like and then weird if the rest of the game isn't like that. and it's gotta be really clear because otherwise it has the same problem of having the player do stuff but having no idea why they're doing it

what i feel like would be ideal is just a short text blurb that they're forced to read but it's hard to think of a good way to deliver it.... i might just not think of a good way though.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:13:56 AM by dcco »

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 04:12:23 AM »
btw in case it's not clear from eveyritime i post about this kind of thing i overthink a lot

cati

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 67
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 04:04:59 PM »
i guess you could make the first room take a little while to traverse and have very little actually going on so the player has nothing to do but read the text while they walk from one side of the screen to the other
this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 08:03:09 PM »
Do it like those old Jumper 2 sectors where every time you enter the room you get launched up into a help block so it triggers every time they die.