Author Topic: Sparkly Rainbow Kitty Fluff Adventure  (Read 39739 times)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
Sparkly Rainbow Kitty Fluff Adventure
« on: June 02, 2018, 03:22:43 PM »

i made a cute explorey platform..... love-game.net/sparkle/

still gotta add sounds and music but i figured id post the "beta" while i work on those......

~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
Re: Sparkly Rainbow Kitty Fluff Adventure
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 08:26:46 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 08:45:03 PM »
nice job! i thought it would be pretty hard for one person to find everything & i guess it was if you had to make your own map....

btw if you know where all the stuff is the game takes like 10-15 minutes to beat lol. i was very curious how long a blind playthrough would be so thanx 4 playing :honeydew:

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 08:55:52 PM »

Giik

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 44
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 07:08:27 AM »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 08:02:45 AM »
thanks for playing & for the nice comments :watermelon: your map is very cute.....

seems so far like the game takes around [sp]2 hours[/sp] to complete, if anyone hasnt played yet & is wondering.....

the one-block-wide floor tunnels could maybe be made easier to fall into.... i like though that its hard to discover them by accident since you normally run right over them..... it might be hard to balance it so theyre easier to find when actively searching but still hard to find accidentally

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 08:12:48 AM »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 09:00:06 AM »
i uploaded a new version with a bunch of minor changes, the main differences are:
- when you load the game you start from the last statue you saw, instead of always starting from the first screen
(you will start at the first screen when loading a save file from the previous version, but once you visit a screen with a statue, it should work after that)
- some exciting "Cheat Codes" are revealed when you complete the game.......

still need to do sound and music sometime but i dont feel like it yet..... maybe i can just leave it silent

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 04:23:36 PM »
Something you could try for sound is no music, only ambience. like chiptune ambience. I made a track in pxtone once that's just soft noise to simulate wind and some birds chirping, it ended up sounding pretty good. (if i was on pc i'd upload it)
The most musical it could get is continuous droning sounds, like a crystal-sounding chord in the [sp]reflective area[/sp] or a shephard tone in the [sp]endless rainbow pit[/sp].

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 07:31:23 PM »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 10:07:34 PM »
i was thinking of using more relaxed/downbeat music than my usual stuff for this game..... "chiptune ambience" might be a good idea for at least some of the areas altho ive never really tried composing ambient tracks before

sweet map...... i generated a similar map but it includes heart locations and the fake walls are faded out, so its more spoilery..... not sure i wanna post it yet

wilde32

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 24
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Consider replacing your battery.
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
im kinda bad with positional awareness so a map screen would be nice

but its cute

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 12:56:18 PM »
thanx.... adding a map is kind of a tough call. vg and giik made their own maps and at least one of them seemed to really enjoy the process but i get that a lot of people dont like to bother with that..... and i think the game is rather hard to complete without a map because some of the secret passages are pretty obscure

there is a [sp]room that has a map on the wall[/sp] but it might be a bit hard to find, and i think it wouldnt help that much with positional awareness

Giik

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »
The first map I charted was almost necessary to figure out what's where. But on the other hand being entirely lost feels like a huge part of the game. Very slowly figuring out how things are connected was fun, and having a map that fills out automatically or something like that would ruin the wanderlust

The thing is that it didn't feel like something I was obligated to explore. The only completion was the hearts, and not really acknowledging the rest of the game exists feels like you're discovering some cool secrets each time you find a new area

Actually related to that, the feeling of finding secrets in this is something i REALLY want to replicate in oceanfarm

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 06:21:26 PM »
aw im glad you liked the secrets..... i was kind of surprised at how mich mileage i was able to get out of just two mechanics for hiding things (fake walls + not being able to see past screen boundarys)

ive been trying for a while to think of better and less trial-and-errorey ways to hide secrets in 2d exploration games than fake/invisible/breakable etc. stuff but im starting to feel like all that stuff is fine? maybe the trial-and-error aspect is ok & should focus more on using that stuff effectively than trying to innovate. if i do think of a cool unique way to hide things tho i will definitely experiment with it in future games.....