Author Topic: News Posting  (Read 15397 times)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
Re: News Posting
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »
oh i think i found it.... its in the updateSettings function in Subs.php

although the database field supports 4 gigs of news i dont know if allowing that much will uhh cause problems so i increased the limit from 65534 to 1048544 (16x the amount of news....)
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 04:31:14 PM »
I only did the news purges before because performance became so awful after ~200 or so entries.  Don't think we actually hit the physical limit before.

I blame animated gifs for anything and everything.

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 08:24:54 AM »
secretly workanig on a game. i just implemented ledge climbing which was 1000x more complicated than how important it is. i think it's funny because i put in way more frames of animation into it than anything else in the game.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 01:32:13 PM »
nice can u secretly post screenshot's???

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 07:50:17 PM »
im assuming this is a long term project you are talking about but its actually the weekend of The Game Jam That Made Cat Planet, ludum dare. the theme this time is "running out of space". ive already slept thru a good chunk of the first day but i might try to make something

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2018, 10:31:13 PM »
HMMMMMM i should make somethin but i probably wont

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 11:16:01 PM »
here is a screenshot of game. im mostly just working on game mechanics and not levels so i dont have much else to show but soon..........

i kind of want to get into doing small projects bc i feel like itd be fun but im really busy these days and i always just want to dump my free time into this thing.

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 12:32:04 PM »
look's cute..... isnt that the same chara from that weird demo u showed ages ago? u made a whole scripting language and stuff

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 01:28:37 PM »
just got that hot libretta style diagonal grid movement working..... (the witchy sprite is a placeholder)

im not entirely sure why it works actually. i was going to add like a variable that switches between horizontal/vertical to keep track of which direction you are supposed to be moving at each grid step but i started programming basic stuff first and its kind of just alternating on its own somehow because of the way i set things up? i programmed grid movement in a probably more robust way than i usually do (ive done some really sketchy shit in the past but this time i just took my existing topdown movement code and added some checks for whether you are aligned to the grid at relevant points)

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 06:10:25 PM »
I feel like I may have told you how it works some point before, but Libretta's diagonal code works like this: when you aren't currently doing "tile movement" but are inputting at least one direction, it starts "tile movement" again. However, if you're holding two directions diagonally at this point, it "cancels" the input for the direction that you're currently facing to keep it from deciding to go that way.

So that's definitely an intentional way of doing it, and I dunno how it would happen unintentionally, but good job? Maybe there's something unbalanced about your horizontal and vertical movement, or the timing of when you start a new tile movement.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 07:58:59 PM »
let me try to figure out whats goin on.... my movement code looks like this
Code: [Select]
for each axis (x and y) {
  read input for [axis]
  if aligned with grid {
    set the character's speed along [axis] based on input
  }
  move [speed] pixels along [axis]
}
the "move" step actually moves one pixel at a time, stopping if either the character hits a wall, or if that pixel-move aligns the character with the grid

so what happens if you are aligned with the grid and hold up+right? something like this:
step 1:
- character starts moving right (because x axis happens first)
- character is now off-grid, so the up input is ignored and her y speed is zero
step 2:
- character is off-grid, so all input is ignored and she just continues moving right
step M:
- character is still off-grid, but this step will move her back on to the grid
- x axis input is ignored (because off-grid), but x axis move happens and puts her back on grid
- y axis input is not ignored, because character is back on grid! y axis move happens and puts her back off grid, moving up
step M+1:
- character is off-grid, so all input is ignored and she just continues moving up
step N
- character is still off-grid, but this step will move her back on to the grid
- all input is ignored because off grid, and x axis move does nothing because her x speed is zero
- y axis move happens and puts her back on grid
step N+1
- same as step 1, cycle repeats

so its entirely just a weird artifact of the simple rules for movement and the execution order.... interesting

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 10:33:39 PM »
Neato

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 04:43:53 AM »

the classic tile game with 9 exciting puzzles..... love-game.net/tiles

might polish this tomorrow or might just release it as is..... i dont feel like doing anymore work on it tonight

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 05:21:00 AM by aimaina »

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 05:57:52 AM »
Have all finished except for the red background one.  Not sure how to do this one.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2018, 06:12:58 AM »
that is definitely the hardest one i think.... if you want a hint, heres a starting position from which the puzzle is solvable
Spoiler (click to show/hide)