Author Topic: Um, hello  (Read 6410 times)

GameRoom

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 4
    • View Profile
Um, hello
« on: December 01, 2018, 06:08:30 PM »
So I was going through a sort of nostalgia binge and was watching parts of Raocow's Craz'd LP and came across this forum. I noticed that I recognized a lot of usernames here and wanted to stop by and say hi.

So if you don't remember, I was active on the Matt Makes Games forums around 2009-2010. I posted a few games on there back in the day, such as the world-renowned, critically acclaimed StrangeWorld 2, among others. I was a cringy little 13-year-old shit and I'm glad all my posts were deleted from there (although I'd be happy to find an archive, laugh at it with friends, and burn it), but today is a new day. And apparently, to some extent, the gang's all here, or at least a few of you. For 8 whole years. It's almost like a virtual middle school reunion.

So, um, how are you guys doing? I did lots of things in the 8 years I've never spoken to any of you. I dabbled in some music/YouTube stuff, made like 1 somewhat good game in that timeframe, and also had a stint as a developer for a somewhat popular modded game server. In college now doing CS.

Also when I registered here the email verification wouldn't send. I resent it like 5 times until it came through, and I think I might get them all flooding me within the next hour. Y'all admins might want to check that out.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 06:14:42 PM by GameRoom »

TheGucc

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Um, hello
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 09:39:01 PM »
hey, I'm TheGucc. I mainly came here to talk about AUSEP and such, but I randomly took like an 8 month hiatus from here, lol.
You're probably gonna hate me for this question, and thats respective, but do you know anything about AUSEP? or any AUS fangame for that matter? because I do remember seeing your username somewhere along old forums and using wayback machine
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:10:00 PM by TheGucc »

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 09:55:27 PM »
hi

can i play strangeworld 2 somewhere? or the "1 somewhat good game"? gimme links

since 2010 i have:

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 11:59:57 PM »
I don't think I've done anything at all in the last eight years.

GameRoom

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 01:05:41 AM »
I remember the AUSEP. I think I played one demo back in the day but it wasn't much. I do remember the dozen or so AUS clones from the MMG forums because everyone just loved making AUS clones back then.

Most of my old games have been deleted from the internet because the Yoyogames website got taken down, along with all the games on there. I actually had to find my old laptop from my parent's house, buy a charger for it on Amazon because I lost that, and move the files over while fixing some compilation bugs. You can find all my games here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XslQcLMEeQT8OcoUxEMfFWUCZ0cXDUz8?usp=sharing. I've somewhat recently played through a few of these games with friends just to laugh at how bad they were. Mainly the rising lava level that was actually period blood from the first game, and then the second game, which happened to have a boss based after my ex-girlfriend.

As for stuff I'm not completely ashamed of, here is my magnum opus: https://www.kongregate.com/games/GameRoom/granny-and-her-sack-full-of-cats. It's an action RPG about an old cat lady who collects cats by beating them up to take home. It's incomplete and was in development between like 2011-2013. I'd like to say that it's my only good game. I also made this demo that I never did anything with, and I'm not touching it without redoing it from scratch because the code is spaghetti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZD_heUPFEk. And if you want to get a taste of the "music" and "videos" I've made, here's a primer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFez7rEly1M

So I'm watching the Crazd 2 LP right now and my first thought is it's hard to look at? Like with the color scheme there's not much difference between the background and the foreground and it kind of hurts my eyes. A Pome for Herky is a good song and I appreciate it.

Also I did in fact get like confirm emails after I posted this.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 01:31:18 AM »
Mainly the rising lava level that was actually period blood from the first game, and then the second game, which happened to have a boss based after my ex-girlfriend.

eek

So I'm watching the Crazd 2 LP right now and my first thought is it's hard to look at? Like with the color scheme there's not much difference between the background and the foreground and it kind of hurts my eyes.

raocow's video quality is pretty bad. as someone with light sensitivity i think the game looks fine. if youre complaining about the aesthetics then :watermelon:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:34:55 AM by hubol »

GameRoom

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 01:37:40 AM »
It's certainly an aesthetic. Overall it seems fairly charming. I haven't played the game but from the video the colors just looked way to saturated, and it would be nice if the background were a tiny bit duller to differentiate the two. But that's just from the video.

TheGucc

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 03:12:43 AM »
as you can tell from my previous posts, I crave AUSEP or anything AUS related. I'd love to hear about any MMGF stories if you have any about AUS. There's a dude working on AUSEP solo, and I'm trying to spruce up An Unofficial Story

wilde32

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 24
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Consider replacing your battery.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 09:21:28 PM »
im making a metroidvania explorey platformer ahem is that aus-related

though you die in one hit in my game so its more like jumper but with map exploration i guess

also i dunno if you remember me, probably not, i was alec40124 back on the mmgf. i was even younger than you back then, like 10-12 i think, so i have a more embarrassing past than yours

anyway, welcome back
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:33:15 PM by wilde32 »

GameRoom

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 01:48:22 AM »
So even though I use this avatar literally nowhere else, I just changed my avatar to my old one for that old, vintage feel. Really taking it back to the days.

TheGucc

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
mr wilde that game sounds like a fun experience already, tell me when its done pls, I'd play the fuck out of it