Author Topic: grunch!  (Read 6112 times)

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
grunch!
« on: December 23, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »

i made a game from 1:00am to 6:00am a few days ago..... i didnt really like it so i worked on it a bit more tonight and now i think its cute..... its called
Planet Grunch
and you play as Grunch and try to avoid the spikes. its a small game but it has some secrets in it, can u find them? check it out and try to finish the game. sylvie :honeydew:
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
Re: grunch!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »
Will paly.

It works better at 1920p than it does at 1440p though.  The background past 1920 pixels is bright white, which creates a fair bit of contrast.

The CSS in the page's source is a little weird.

Code: [Select]
background: ${BACKGROUND_COLOUR};

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 12:21:20 PM »
the grey background outside the "game window" is actually being drawn by game maker, and its supposed to fill the whole browser window, but i realized if you resize the window it doesnt expand the background accordingly..... i think i can fix that

if you are seeing bright white without ever changing window size though then thats weird but hopefully u arent

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 12:22:31 PM »
Oh okay, that's probably it.  I moved it from one window to another when that happened, so that would do it.

So things were going well until I hit the room "Nuts and Bolts".  Then I got a little spawn camped.  I ran out of lives.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 12:26:17 PM »
thanks for playin.... hmmm im not sure if i should alter that or if getting spawn camped is just part of the charm..... i guess there arent really other places where that can happen to the same degree tho

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 12:29:01 PM »
To be fair, there were adequate lives beforehand.  I just wasn't able to adapt quickly enough.

Though if you want to soften it a bit, one change would be making the hallway into the next room slightly longer (two blocks instead of one).  So you still need to move, but you can catch a breather at least.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 12:44:33 PM »
decided to make that level a bit safer..... :honeydew:

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 12:52:21 PM »
altho now im thinking about how the original version of the game (the one made in five hours that i didnt like) was kind of absurd and unfair and thoroughly unpleasant..... an example of how uncomfortable art ends up having its rough edges sanded away for the sake of mass appeal

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 01:19:46 PM »
Oh no, I have become the masses

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »
Hey could you add an option to pay 99 cents to unlock more lives?  We don't all have time to grind out lives ya know.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 01:31:06 PM »
im actually also the masses because i reworked the game to make it appeal to myself more.....

adding MTX (thats what we call microtransactions in the biz) seems like a good plan, ill put some video ads in there too that you can watch to get bonus lives