Author Topic: game music thard?  (Read 9203 times)

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
game music thard?
« on: January 11, 2019, 02:05:00 AM »
hey guys do you have any recommendations for software / samples for game music?

btw the rats game has :okhand: music

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
Re: game music thard?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 05:24:17 AM »
i like 2 use pxtone..... it is best for chiptune style songs i think but technically you can put any kind of sample you want in there if you want a weirder sound. it comes with the samples used in cave story as well as some other generic stuff like square/triangle/sine/saw waves and also a few weird things, and there is even a thing for creating your own samples that i havent really messed with. its not as powerful as other music programs probably but it has a very easy 2 use interface....

the rats music was by hubol and i think he uses more advanced n fancy stuff.....
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

TheGucc

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:56:51 AM »
how do you make chiptune music >:(

like seriously what do you even use for it

do i need to study music theory? feed bread to eels? it make no sense.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 02:02:36 PM »
i really loved pxtone back in the day, n like sylvie says its very good for chiptuney stuff but i also used it for plenty of weird stuff. im not sure what u mean by “samples” for game music... like epic instrument sounds? at one point i downloaded some realistic instrument samples... that sort of stuff is available anywhere. it depends on what youre going for

anyway pxtone is really good and was really fun to learn with. it is limited in that it does not support common things like VST or midi input, but the built in instruments go a long way and the UI doesnt really inhibit you from placing notes quickly

in 2011 i moved from pxtone to psycle which has VST support and limited midi input. psycle is a tracker so every note is aligned to a grid, so the subtleties of human error when recording live are either not detected or horribly exaggerated. the coolest thing about psycle is the “machine view” which lets you route outputs of your instruments in a tree.

my dad bought reaper for me in like 2011 for $40 and i still have it now. i initially used it for “arranging” music—layering things i’d exported from psycle and adding more effects. its fabulous for that. since 2016, ive used it for recording music. i have a collection of sample-based and analog synthesizers that i connect to a midi keyboard and connect the audio output from the synth to my machine running reaper. i record in real time while listening to a metronome and/or the other tracks. i prefer to do it this way over using midi note data because i like the human error in the audio + i like working with audio over note data more. so the samples you hear in rats world are mostly from a shitty drum kit i found at goodwill. there are also guitars and a moog synthesizer for some stuff

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 02:04:25 PM »
how do you make chiptune music >:(

like seriously what do you even use for it

do i need to study music theory? feed bread to eels? it make no sense.

use anything n dont worry about music theory

i made a lil guide once for making a not-very-interesting song before... can someone link it i think its in the bogus thread

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 04:10:58 PM »
i think i can think of okay songs by humming in my head so im trying to learn how to transcribe them. it's defs like, a painstaking process tho haha.

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 05:15:19 PM »
also okie cool.... yeha ive just been using pxtone - and i was wondering if using default samples it comes with is scrub-tier or not. sick tho

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 08:50:58 PM »
noob compost question

i have a note and i want to repeat it multiple times. there are no rests in between each use of it, but if i dont put in any rests it just sounds like one long note. but if i add like a tiny rest in between it sounds weird. is this something that has a standard answer?

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:15:33 PM »
Maybe fluctuate volume?

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 09:15:52 PM »
I have 0% knowledge in musics and musics accessories.

TheGucc

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 10:18:59 PM »
i heard famitracker is good for chiptune but im really unsure of how to use it currently, ill try experimenting with it and those other things y'all recommended in the meantime

Trotim

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 9
  • wolf
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: he/him
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 10:58:41 PM »
I like using LMMS with some chiptuney VSTs or midi soundfonts

music theory has a bad rep for some reason? it helps a lot to know the basics (what the basics are depends on what you wanna make)

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 04:25:44 AM »
i think i can think of okay songs by humming in my head so im trying to learn how to transcribe them. it's defs like, a painstaking process tho haha.

there are nice tools that show u the pitch of something being played in real time... (theres one in reaper that ive been using a lot lately...)

noob compost question

i have a note and i want to repeat it multiple times. there are no rests in between each use of it, but if i dont put in any rests it just sounds like one long note. but if i add like a tiny rest in between it sounds weird. is this something that has a standard answer?

what cook said (if i understand correctly) ur probably talking about tremolo

🐰 goodies 🐰

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 39
  • avvo by Flipy
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Him, he
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 11:01:45 AM »
 Spambots are changing their tactics and coming in with an attitude instead now
🐰

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 11:57:23 AM »
Nixed the link but otherwise he can stay.