Author Topic: Game Making QUESTION.,.,.,  (Read 6539 times)

TheGucc

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 10
    • View Profile
Game Making QUESTION.,.,.,
« on: January 16, 2019, 11:52:02 AM »
Does anyone have any knowledge in the field of porting game maker games to mobile? for example someone on a discord server mentioned porting aus to mobile and I'm wondering how easy that would be/how much trouble you would need to go through to do just THAT.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
Re: Game Making QUESTION.,.,.,
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 06:34:30 PM »
Probably the easiest way would be porting to GameMaker Studio 1 or 2, then using the Android export module.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 06:35:29 PM »
I don't think the license has a source which means it carries implicit copyright though.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 09:27:43 PM »
porting a game the size of aus to game maker studio 1 would be pretty annoying, mostly because of the playtesting effort involved. a lot of things will break due to the changes between gm7 and gms1 so you have to make sure EVERYTHING in the game still works as originally intended and if not, you have to figure out whats going wrong and fix it and retest it. maybe it wouldnt be that bad depending on how many things go wrong. ive ported a bunch of my old gm8 games to gms1 but they were all pretty small and simple.... one of the problems i remember is that anything which uses "instance creation code" needs to be modified because they changed the execution order of that, but i dont remember anything else specific

i have pretty much no experience with making android games in gms1 but likely that will cause even more problems and you have to go through the whole playtesting and fixing cycle again. the html5 module is all kinds of broken compared to the windows one so i dont have high hopes for the android one. you also have to make mobile controls and stuff but i expect that will be a minor issue compared to bugfixing. its basically how much effort are you willing to put into replaying aus over and over and fixing all the weird bugs you find

if you port to gms2 than even more shit will break because they changed a lot between gms1 and 2, so i recommend just using 1 if you can
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 09:44:01 PM »
also it seems like aus uses a lot of functions that were removed in gms1, some of them have equivalents but for others you will need to find & implement workarounds. finding workarounds for shit that breaks is a big part of porting

oh yeah aus uses midi music too right? you will have to convert all that to ogg or something

it sounds like a bad time to me. i dont think its worth the trouble just to be able to play a version of aus with bad controls on the school bus or whatever

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:59:26 PM »
i think finding workarounds for all the obsolete functions might actually be the worst part, you will have to do a ton of reprogramming work before the game will even be able to run

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 10:36:01 PM »
Yeah, I guess when I said "the easiest way" I should have specified that's versus literally rewriting the entire thing.  It'd be weeks or months of bugfixing.

There might be some form of library that helps reimplement legacy functions into newer versions of GameMaker, but I have no idea.

wilde32

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 24
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Consider replacing your battery.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 05:36:54 AM »
semi-related: i tried porting aus to 60fps but it's not as easy as halving all the speed values and doubling all the timers

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 12:28:43 PM »
I liked Karoshi.  I wonder if it still holds up.

Petzi

• Lil' Cutey
  • Cutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »
Someone named JeffRuLz345 posted a GameMaker: Studio port on reddit (along with a PS Vita port!), so I put together a crude port for Android :) The source is available if anyone wants to improve upon it! I'll probably also work on it some more once I get time.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:30:38 PM by Petzi »

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 11:30:47 PM »
this video is fake y'all -- you can tell from the lighting!

wilde32

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 24
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Consider replacing your battery.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 01:01:21 AM »
i played this and for some reason the game ONLY runs in portrait mode, meaning the game window is tiny and over half the screen is black bars. it's also stretched vertically so it's not in the proper aspect ratio, and the window doesn't fit the full width of the screen. i'm on a galaxy s8 so i dunno how relevant that is to my testing.

in terms of how the game runs (i only got to stonecastle but bleh) it runs well so far, with no errors or lag or anything, so that's good.

uh here's a screenshot from my device (i would take a photo but i only have one phone... so... you get the screen capture... sorry...)