Author Topic: Jumper Two is coming to teh mobile!  (Read 64416 times)

Yambam

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 4
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
  • Pronouns: he, him
Re: Jumper Two is coming to teh mobile!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 06:50:53 AM »

Tinister

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 07:03:26 AM »
Thanks.  Any word if you're working on a Jumper 4?

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 08:19:37 AM »
Thanks.  Any word if you're working on a Jumper 4?
You're not confusing me with Matt himself, are you? xD

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 01:18:04 PM »
idk if i told u all but i have a stupid "retina" screen now and game maker games fonts are enormous
How does it look like? Could you show me some screens? Wait, there isn't Retina for Android, is there? I can't quite compile to iOS without any help from someone else, because I don't have a Mac with Mac OS X 10.6 or higher.

this is an issue with high dpi displays on windows 7, so your jumper 2 running at 60fps is affected. there is no solution besides me using a different resolution. it affects gm4-gm8 executables apparently. so basically, dont worry about it!!!!!!

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 06:09:32 PM »
idk if i told u all but i have a stupid "retina" screen now and game maker games fonts are enormous
How does it look like? Could you show me some screens? Wait, there isn't Retina for Android, is there? I can't quite compile to iOS without any help from someone else, because I don't have a Mac with Mac OS X 10.6 or higher.

this is an issue with high dpi displays on windows 7, so your jumper 2 running at 60fps is affected. there is no solution besides me using a different resolution. it affects gm4-gm8 executables apparently. so basically, dont worry about it!!!!!!
Would it work better with GM:Studio? I can basically compile it to Windows already, it's much easier to quickly test for bugs that way and most of the time it runs much smoother at 60 FPS than the original GM5.3a version from Matt Thorson. I made a script that converts objects to tiles and lots of other optimizations to achieve that.

EDIT:
I added an "Authentic Ogmo Physics" unlockable so you can at least try and play with the original Jumper Two physics (there's no "mobile physics" option in Windows yet, should there be one?), it's probably much more viable with a Bluetooth controller/keyboard though, but at least it's an option. And I'm planning to revamp the main menu and the map.

On another note, I tried to contact Matt Thorson using the email address on his website, but he hasn't sent me a reply yet since I sent it last Thursday. If I understand correctly he is very busy making Celeste and publishing Skytorn, so it's okay if it takes a little longer... I'm still very excited though.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:24:32 PM by Yambam »

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 10:04:11 PM »
On Windows I can zip_unzip an included zip and then use audio_create_stream to add the ogg files, but on Android I can't get it to work! :(

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 02:37:06 AM »
matt is probably easier to contact via twitter these days

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »

Yeah I'm on Twitter too (@SymptoticCycles). My first tweet to @MattThorson was 5 days ago and I've tweeted 10 new progress updates since, but if he's going to reply, it sure is going to be worth the wait. :)

Does anyone have a little experience with Android export external files? I converted all 18 MP3s of music to OGG and I can load them in using audio_stream_create on Windows. I'm going to release the first version (not really, the Google Play Store can wait, I'll just put a link to my website for testing the game for now) soon after I fixed this external music files problem.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:09:58 AM by Yambam »

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »

By the way, after adding all those musics to the Included Files (or data files or something), the game package has been cut down to 37 MB!

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 12:30:31 PM »
also in case youre not aware, converting one lossy piece of audio (mp3) to another lossy format (ogg) is not particularly wise. it can produce a lot of unwanted artifacts. depending on your care levels you may want to record the midis and export to ogg.

anyway i dont think many of us have exported game maker games to any platform besides windows or html5

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 12:43:55 PM »
also in case youre not aware, converting one lossy piece of audio (mp3) to another lossy format (ogg) is not particularly wise. it can produce a lot of unwanted artifacts. depending on your care levels you may want to record the midis and export to ogg.

anyway i dont think many of us have exported game maker games to any platform besides windows or html5
The MP3s were 192 kbps and according to some paper I found some time ago, human ears don't even notice if you make it higher than that (192 kbps), but I'm not sure. Either way, I'm going to care more about mobile usability first and perhaps add more to the gameplay and at least get the menus right for mobile. The stage buttons on the map are way too small. :D

EDIT: Correction: one of the MP3s was really 192 kbps, but some were 180 kbps and some were 195 kbps, etc. So maybe it's worth looking into, hubol!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:48:19 PM by Yambam »

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 01:19:11 PM »
while humans might not be able to detect the difference between those different bitrates, it is undeniable that exporting to mp3 results in artifacts (changes in frequency distributions). taking an already lossy file (mp3) and applying a different style of compression to it (ogg) can result in terrible audio quality
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossy_compression

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 08:46:42 PM »
Yeah, with hubs here.  Lossy + lossy = lossier.  Might be a good idea to redo the conversion before release.

Also, pretty skeptical of that 192 kbps claim.

Alienwear

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 06:54:48 AM »
Now I'm thinking about porting AUS to android too.

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »
Yeah, with hubs here.  Lossy + lossy = lossier.  Might be a good idea to redo the conversion before release.

Also, pretty skeptical of that 192 kbps claim.

OK, so I found the .wav files I made in the beginning. So they are lossless, 16-bit signed, wave files and they sound pretty good, so I'm now converting them to .ogg directly without any steps in between to see if it makes any difference...