Author Topic: Jumper Two is coming to teh mobile!  (Read 64423 times)

Yambam

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 4
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
  • Pronouns: he, him
Re: Jumper Two is coming to teh mobile!
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »
Now I'm thinking about porting AUS to android too.

Great idea! Do you have an Android module? My virtual analog engine is free to use for anyone by the way: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhg1ub9zk1ra1rg/Virtual%20Analog.gmz?dl=0

What Game Maker version was An Untitled Story made with? Because I made a manual/log/example on how to port games like Jumper to Studio, which was made with Game Maker 5.3a. And I'm also planning to release my pixel perfect scaling engine. I'll let you know how it picks an ideal scale instead if you want, then you can figure out the rest yourself.

Matt Thorson hasn't replied to any of my tweets or conversations yet, I hope he likes my project... :watermelon:

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 01:52:25 PM »
Okay, now the brand new .ogg files are done! Here are the sound fonts I used on each song:

Code: [Select]
| Music        | Sound font     |
|--------------|----------------|
| snd_temple   | TimGM6mb.sf2   |
| snd_jungle   | TimGM6mb.sf2   |
| snd_train    | FluidR3_GM.sf2 |
| snd_dream    | TimGM6mb.sf2   |
| snd_caves    | FluidR3_GM.sf2 |
| snd_factory  | FluidR3_GM.sf2 |
| snd_snow     | TimGM6mb.sf2   |
| snd_lab      | TimGM6mb.sf2   |
| snd_tower    | TimGM6mb.sf2   |
| snd_tower2   | TimGM6mb.sf2   |
| snd_sky      | TimGM6mb.sf2   |
| snd_suspense | FluidR3_GM.sf2 |
| snd_crisis   | FluidR3_GM.sf2 |
| snd_war      | FluidR3_GM.sf2 |
| snd_boss     | FluidR3_GM.sf2 |
| snd_credits  | TimGM6mb.sf2   |
| snd_theboss  | FluidR3_GM.sf2 |

EDIT:
BBCode table doesn't look that great...
MusicSoundfont
snd_templeTimGM6mb.sf2
snd_jungleTimGM6mb.sf2
snd_trainFluidR3_GM.sf2
snd_dreamTimGM6mb.sf2
snd_cavesFluidR3_GM.sf2
snd_factoryFluidR3_GM.sf2
snd_snowTimGM6mb.sf2
snd_labTimGM6mb.sf2
snd_towerTimGM6mb.sf2
snd_tower2TimGM6mb.sf2
snd_skyTimGM6mb.sf2
snd_suspenseFluidR3_GM.sf2
snd_crisisFluidR3_GM.sf2
snd_warFluidR3_GM.sf2
snd_bossFluidR3_GM.sf2
snd_creditsTimGM6mb.sf2
snd_thebossFluidR3_GM.sf2

I'll upload the .ogg files somewhere so you can listen to them. Maybe you find one you don't like, then you could suggest another sound font. (Install FluidSynth to use .sf2 or .sfArk files in your favorite media player.)

EDIT2: Here they are: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m4w8hljdxydn93s/AABBTb4v3iclcFpDAUkrvlfWa?dl=0
You can listen to them directly on Dropbox, or if you download the .zip, you can use the playlist called "selection.m3u" to hear the .ogg's I selected.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:24:10 PM by Yambam »

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2016, 04:05:53 PM »
And I'm also planning to release my pixel perfect scaling engine. I'll let you know how it picks an ideal scale instead if you want, then you can figure out the rest yourself.

wahts the point of this are u going to try to sell it for the Big Bux. are you just talking about scaling the view to fit the display in a way that doesnt look terrible

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2016, 04:14:57 PM »
And I'm also planning to release my pixel perfect scaling engine. I'll let you know how it picks an ideal scale instead if you want, then you can figure out the rest yourself.

wahts the point of this are u going to try to sell it for the Big Bux. are you just talking about scaling the view to fit the display in a way that doesnt look terrible
naope, just for the curious. (EDIT: Yes, it's about avoiding blurry or weird pixels.)

Here goes:

• First find the largest scale that fits on the screen: 1x, 2x, 3x, ..., 8x.
  • Center the game on the screen with that (still "pixel perfect") scale.
  • Now find the smallest distance from the edge of the game's viewport, either horizontally or vertically.
  • Now you can calculate what scale would be 'ideal', as in filling the screen most, but not cutting of anything.
  • If that scale is more than 1.33 times the current, pixel perfect, scale, switch over to that one instead. Also always use this scaling when the game needs to be down-scaled.
  • If you're not on the pixel perfect scale, don't forget to put on interpolation using texture_set_interpolation(true). You can also choose to not do this if the scale is >3x, because then you'll get less "strange pixels" than with 1.5x for example.

Pretty straightforward! :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 04:25:26 PM by Yambam »

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2016, 08:48:56 PM »
Hey guys check out the first release! I didn't try any of the secret stages, I did cheat at the final boss, because the fireballs were impossible to avoid on my mobile. xD

http://imanuelhab.mooo.com/builder?apk

Without music 40MB and after downloading music (first time launch) it's 70MB.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:52:03 PM by Yambam »

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2016, 11:25:19 PM »
Auto-playing music.  Don't see that too often anymore.

Okay okay I'll try the thing.

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2016, 06:09:51 AM »

Yeah, I just made it play only after you downloaded it the first time. It works as a notification for me when the new .apk is ready. :)

Alienwear

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2016, 09:20:08 AM »
What Game Maker version was An Untitled Story made with?

I believe it is Game Maker 7.0. I haven't tried porting any game to android but I can always try.
Bluetooth Controller is recommended for playing though.

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2016, 11:53:50 AM »
What Game Maker version was An Untitled Story made with?

I believe it is Game Maker 7.0. I haven't tried porting any game to android but I can always try.
Bluetooth Controller is recommended for playing though.

Ah okay. I just wondered how you would handle other buttons like the ability button and stuff. You can always use my analog example, it's pretty easy to add buttons to it, just add a constant with double the value of the previous constant and add the corresponding key code to obj_input's create event. Then just increment the virtual key count variable which is also in obj_input's create event. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's not only a virtual analog example, it also supports Bluetooth input and Android's physical buttons. It has simple functions like input_check(k_right), input_check_pressed(k_jump), input_check_released(k_menu), etc.

I accidentally made a typo in my website, but it's done again now, I also made it play music from the game there is a new package for. So you'll hear Jumper Two music when there is a new package and it won't play for people who download the game for the first time. :D

I fixed most of the pause screen bugs by the way. The pause screen was actually added the last minute yesterday and then I went to bed without testing. So yeah, that's fixed now. :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:56:00 AM by Yambam »

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2016, 12:17:56 PM »
So testing it out on Android here.  Controls feel pretty responsive.  Bit tricky to get used to the auto wall jumping.  Probably just muscle memory betraying me.

I'm playing on a 7 inch tablet in landscape mode and still find it pretty tricky to see what I'm doing.  The levels might be a bit too large to play comfortably on mobile.

A few bugs.

I notice that the text boxes pause the game, and the only way to unpause is to hit Back to quit, then No.

I died near the platform in 1-2 and Ogmo didn't respawn.  This seemed to break things.  Going back to the level select screen and selecting a course still didn't load him in, and the level select music continued playing.  Quitting further to the main menu actually showed me as having beaten 1-2 (I didn't).  Selecting 1-3 just doubled up the music so multiple tracks were playing at once.

I'm sure they're pretty trivial bugs to squash.  The bigger question is of playability on a touch screen.  I'm wondering if there's any quality of life features that would make it more accessible.  Perhaps zooming in 25% on the character would make it easier to do precise jumps, but may obscure too much of your view.  I can't see myself completing the more difficult sectors on mobile in any case.

But that said, it's pretty cool to see this up and running, and it seems to be pretty smooth.  The movement is about as good as it could be.  And maybe there's other value in having ported Jumper 2 to the latest version of Gamemaker.  Could run on the web as well?

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2016, 04:31:09 PM »
So testing it out on Android here.  Controls feel pretty responsive.  Bit tricky to get used to the auto wall jumping.  Probably just muscle memory betraying me.

I'm playing on a 7 inch tablet in landscape mode and still find it pretty tricky to see what I'm doing.  The levels might be a bit too large to play comfortably on mobile.
Just a little hint for some levels where you start out in the bottom-left corner: the whole bottom-left quarter of the screen is occupied by the analog. This is useful in that your left thumb will never cover Ogmo while you're controlling him. You can use a Bluetooth keyboard anyway. The new feature I'm making includes detecting when you're using a keyboard on Android, and then asking if you want to hide the virtual analog and whether you want the classic Jumper physics back.

A few bugs.

I notice that the text boxes pause the game, and the only way to unpause is to hit Back to quit, then No.
Yes I need to fix this. :)

I died near the platform in 1-2 and Ogmo didn't respawn.  This seemed to break things.  Going back to the level select screen and selecting a course still didn't load him in, and the level select music continued playing.  Quitting further to the main menu actually showed me as having beaten 1-2 (I didn't).  Selecting 1-3 just doubled up the music so multiple tracks were playing at once.
Yes this was the bug I was talking about in my previous post. I just noticed, after you made your post, that I saved the new release under the filename I normally use for debugging stuff. The version where I fixed it is now on the same page.

I'm sure they're pretty trivial bugs to squash.  The bigger question is of playability on a touch screen.  I'm wondering if there's any quality of life features that would make it more accessible.  Perhaps zooming in 25% on the character would make it easier to do precise jumps, but may obscure too much of your view.  I can't see myself completing the more difficult sectors on mobile in any case.
For me the answer was YES, it is quite playable on my phone. The furthest I have come (on mobile that is) is the Snow Sector, about the fourth stage of it I think. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to the controls. (On the computer I played everything, only not the secret stages yet, which was due to a bug.)

But that said, it's pretty cool to see this up and running, and it seems to be pretty smooth.  The movement is about as good as it could be.  And maybe there's other value in having ported Jumper 2 to the latest version of Gamemaker.  Could run on the web as well?
I'm not going to try HTML5 again today, I already lost my previous post that I didn't send yet that way. xD

The GM:Studio port seems to run much smoother on Windows 7 than the original game, even more so than the original Game Maker 8.0 port with 60 FPS I made last year. Another thing is that GM:Studio has lots of completely new features, like shaders, modifying the application surface (I use that for scaling the game underneath the analog, and shifting the game up in portrait mode, etc.), so that made it easier to make a good-looking fullscreen mode on Windows too! I'll upload the Windows-version too now. :)

UPDATE:
Well, it turned out to work better than I expected on HTML5! Probably need a computer with better WebGL support or something though. The other few things are that it needs are the "legacy" GameMaker sound system and because it doesn't support the draw_vertex family of functions, I need to replace it with something else. :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:11:19 PM by Yambam »

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2016, 09:01:26 PM »
A few bugs.

I fixed all the bugs you mentioned (I think). There's a new save/load system, room persistence related bugs have been fixed, music has been fixed and much more! :D

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »

I now compiled the Windows version, and the save files are compatible with Android too!

Windows:
http://imanuelhab.mooo.com/builder?exe

Android:
http://imanuelhab.mooo.com/builder?apk

It has an improved2 save system where you can export and import the data as a Base64 string which you can copy/paste from mobile to desktop and vice versa! :D And it has a version system (version 200 is compatible with 210, but not 100 with 200, while the other way around is!), so compatibility won't be too much of a problem! I need to fix the auto-updater a bit, but I think from next week on I can let you guys test the next version without having to let you download the whole package every time. :)

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2016, 08:34:35 PM »
I JUST REMEMBERED. There is a recording option I made in the unlockables (unlocked after just 15 gems collected), it makes ghosts of Ogmo's movements! :)

Do make a backup of your save file though. I don't expect it'll be needed after I made the new update sooner or later, but it's easy to do anyways. :watermelon:

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2016, 09:01:30 PM »
https://imgur.com/gallery/TH6bt - The new save/load system

Now you can see your progress and import and export your game data! Mostly backwards/forwards compatible, but don't know how long.

My progress "on my mobile". I actually did most of it on my mobile phone, but practically all of the the red gems were done on my computer (when I was "testing" the new save data system). xD
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:01:26 AM by Yambam »