Author Topic: sbw2  (Read 175102 times)

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
Re: sbw2
« Reply #285 on: July 13, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »
You download the main IDE for the language you're interested in, print "Hello world" to the console, and then draw the rest of the fucking owl.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #286 on: July 13, 2018, 05:15:41 PM »
transitioning from game maker -> java was kinda tricky for me. i didnt understand a lot of the OOP concepts because gm basically has none of those. if you look at the 2 code there are a lot of missed opportunities where i could have made things more concise/cleaner but just didnt know how. also i didnt really understand the use of static typing.

my saving grace was that oddwarg was around to mentor me and had made the basis of the game engine we use today.

i think you can make the transition by failing a bunch. still making unnecessary programming sacrifices because you dont know the shorthand ways for things. then you can more intelligently/eloquently ask others for simpler/cleaner ways to accomplish things.

nowadays it seems that unity is a popular game engine. unlike game maker, it is backed by a legitimate programming language. i think it has some pretty major flaws, of which my biggest issue is:
  • inability to arbitrarily draw to the screen
in gm, this is a no-brainer. you can override the draw event with whatever stupid shit you want. in shitty unity, you have to do some horrible nust with parenting in the editor.

if you do switch to unity, just disregard the Update() function and use FixedUpdate().

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #287 on: July 13, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »
sorry that post is stream of consciousness

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #288 on: July 13, 2018, 05:32:08 PM »
yeha i was going to say that the popular shit these days is unity but i think its questionable whether unity is more worth programming in than game maker, especially for 2d games. you get to use c# instead of gml i guess but as a consequence you have to deal with unity, which was really awkward and unpleasant to me as a long time game maker user the one time i tried it

why do you want to switch away from game maker? if its specifically because you dislike gml as a language and want to work with something more traditional and robust then switching to unity so you can use c# might be a good idea. but at first you will probably spend a lot of time fighting the engine and not knowing how to do things that are simple in game maker, until you get used to the way unity does things

if you dont want to use unity you can probably just pick whatever language you like or know the best and look for libraries that let you do game stuff. like python has "pygame" or something but i havent ever used anything like that so i cant recommend anything
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

wilde32

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 24
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Consider replacing your battery.
« Reply #289 on: July 13, 2018, 06:15:38 PM »
idk because its looked down upon for being "not a real language" i guess

i mean im not averse to using it im just wondering what good alternatives are

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 13, 2018, 06:32:53 PM »
It's very much a real language.  It has design flaws, but it was also designed for teaching and has since grown in scope.  I wouldn't switch languages simply because GML is looked down on by some.

If you find yourself hitting the limits of Gamemaker, or you feel ready for new experiences, that is a good time to branch out.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #291 on: July 13, 2018, 06:34:58 PM »
i think unity is also looked down on by weird annoying nerds, though maybe to a lesser extent than game maker. if thats a huge concern you could learn like unreal engine or something lol but i would probably just stick with gm until you have a good reason to switch like square wheel said....
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

wilde32

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 13, 2018, 07:06:04 PM »
oh ok

also i just finished crazd. is the final boss final thing supposed to be anticlimatic or did you run out of ideas
shorter than i remember it being when i played it as a kid, though i was also significantly worse at games back then so thats probably a contributing factor

wilde32

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 13, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »

too lazy to grind for coins for coinlimbo so eh

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #294 on: July 13, 2018, 11:48:43 PM »
crazd was basically created with almost no ideas and the final boss was no exception

that game sucks but thanks for playing :-)

wilde32

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 14, 2018, 01:52:27 AM »
hey i can only replay super bogus world so many times, i need new toys to mess with

should i play 2 now

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #296 on: July 14, 2018, 05:45:28 PM »
sure

wilde32

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 14, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »
you don't sound very enthusiastic

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #298 on: July 14, 2018, 07:30:12 PM »
2 is way better than crazd, so i say yes!!!!!!! :dancedog:

wilde32

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 14, 2018, 10:59:56 PM »
the first boss's intro takes waaaay too long i cant be bothered to sit through it again

aaa ill play more tomorrow