Author Topic: vibeo game???  (Read 62225 times)

juner

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 101
    • View Profile
Re: vibeo game???
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2017, 10:11:27 AM »
breathy wild was such a good time... i ended up starting a second file to do a 3hp run and just hiking everywhere and finding a whole bunch of lil woods and paths and valleys i'd never seen before. i really like goin for cool walks irl where you go up and down hills and can see where you're gonna go or where you've been in the distance, so breathy was basically that for me

if i have two major complaints with the game it's that
  • link can't sit down and enjoy the view
  • link cant hold an umbrella
but both of these issues were addressed in mario's odyssey so i guess nintendo realises their mistakes

juner

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2018, 12:33:40 AM »
here's some things i liked about some games i played & enjoyed this last year

Final Fantasy 15
I had a good time throughout but my favourite few hours of FFXV were spent in a post-game dungeon called Pitioss Ruins. In this dungeon, [sp]there's no enemies and it's just a platforming challenge. It's a lengthy and intricate temple with lots of interesting platforming setpieces, intertwining platforming paths and architecture with shortcuts, and a lack of health or lives to keep the experience low on frustration. Impressive for a game which very much not about platforming[/sp]. Very memorable and I wanna see the dungeon designer do a full game basically!
As for the rest of the game, I enjoyed wandering around the settlements, especially during the Moogle Chocobo Carnival & wearing the choco-mog tshirt. I'm a sucker for virtual tourism I guess.

The Last Guardian
The process of learning a shared language between the player and Trico was enjoyable and familiar. After stressful setpieces or challenging puzzles, I appreciate the moments of levity where you get to chill and look down and recognise a bridge or a rooftop deep down in the valley, and realise how far you've come.

Snake Pass
A pleasant, relaxing platformer about learning how to move an unfamiliar body. It's cool to have a platformer with atypical methods of locomotion and input and I'd love to see more stuff in this vein. There's a VR game called Lone Echo set in a space station where you move by grabbing and pushing away from surfaces which I'd love to try some day.

Kid Icarus Uprising
A rollercoaster ride of a game with cute & fun writing.

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
This is p much what I've always wanted in an RTS! Just very tight micromanagement of a handful of people, and the theming and stealth gameplay is very appealing to me. The intricate scenarios, playful character abilities and generous save/reload system lets you perform exciting stunts as you narrowly dart through a courtyard under surveilance of half a dozen troops, narrowly avoiding detection. Levels often feel quite puzzlish as you work out how to bypass the 'locks' of patrols and viewcones. And similar to the Pikmin games, it's very fun to speedrun through with carefully orchestrated multitasking.

Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice
Really enjoy that the spiritual stuff in this game establishes rules that allow for some cool mysteries to play out.

Yo noid! 2
Love the PS1 aesthetic and despite the kinda i guess ironic theming, the gameplay, art, music and level design is all legitimately good and full of heart!

Gravity Rush 2
Fun movement! There were a few moments where I spent like an hour having a good time just, moving around and making zero progress.
The camera was a wonderful feature! I'm sad that the online connectivity is nearly expired. There's a cool feature where you recieve photos of treasure chests from other players, track em down in the world, and then take your own photos to pass on. I spent a significant amount of time in the game taking nice pictures.

Also it just hit 2018 over here, happy 2018  :raspberry:

Riven: The sequel to Myst
Started remembering how good a time me and Cait had playin Obduction last year so I ended up taking a chance on a GOG copy of Riven hoping that it would work alright (we'd researched before and didn't know which version was best to get).
Anyway it worked and just like obduction was fantastic to go through together, bouncing ideas about the world and puzzles off each other.
Loved that the whole game is basically build-up to two complex puzzles.
Loved to wake up with a riven epiphany and to quickly boot up the game to try something and it worked.
Anyway we've worked out that Mystlikes are a new favourite genre so over christmas we played

Quern: Undying Thoughts
We finished this today and it was good! Was less, i guess, 'pure' than Riven in that it definitely felt like it had puzzles for puzzles sake. I'd probably describe it as a long-form escape room. But the puzzles were neat and stayed interesting and reasonably fresh throughout!

Ys 8
Building up a village of castaways and getting to know everyone was cool and felt very different for an Ys game! Despite the segmented areas, they did a great job with viewpoints and landmarks to help you get a sense of the interconnectedness and of your progress through the island. Archeozoic Big Hole is v funny. Kinda feels like they're setting up for a bit more interconnection between Ys games ala Trails-style worldbuilding.

Baba is you
A smart puzzle game available here which I'm highly anticipating for next this year! Going into the game blind, the "ohhhh!!! aha!!!" moment struck a chord.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
It's so wonderful to hear regional UK accents in a game like this. Once it gets going, the battle system is surprisingly active and enjoyable, with clever risk/reward mechanics and good tunes. Some of the environments are visually stunning, particularly at sunset.

Multibowl
Only played a handful of matches of this multiplayer game but it's a brilliant celebration of obscure games. You and another player basically duel your way through snapshots of real retro games (kinda like warioware in a way), quite likely games that you've never seen before and have to quickly adapt, work out the rules and controls, and complete the snapshot's goal in the teeny 30s you're given.

juner

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2018, 01:22:57 AM »
2017 was also extremely good for rhythm arcade games in the uk, in that they started to exist in a place further north than London. I played:

Pop'n Music
It's a challenge at first to get used to the button layout, but once you get in the groove and your hands start flyin around, bopping the buttons is a hecka good time. The song selection is vast and varied and the art is cute!

Groove Coaster
Tricky to sight-read songs that you've never heard before, but it's cool how much effort goes into the unique coasters for each song!

Reflec Beat
I probably oughta play more of this. Cool game but I struggle with the visual distractions!

Jubeat
Musical Whack-a-mole. A really good one for getting into The Zone, just kinda absently staring at the middle of the screen and flinging your hands around. Getting to the point where I can read some of the more complex chords and pass some trickier tunes!

Museca
Was tricky to get used to coming from Pop'n, the button layout is kinda the inverse! But also you get to spin the buttons around and the hit noises are extremly satisfying. Definitely one of my faves at the min!

Taiko Drum Master
Love to hit a big drum. My arms will never be able to keep up with the harder songs.

Pump It Up
Not played it (or DDR) a whole lot for health reasons but I managed to get used to the layout pretty quickly coming from DDR and it has pretty good flow! Not done any myself but I love the co-op charts and kinda gimmick-charts, like one where you always have to keep one foot on the centre panel and swap feet every now and then.

Sound Voltex
They got this at London! Fingers crossed it eventually comes north too. Only played a few credits but it's a great experience and once again, spinning the things is a good feel.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:59:46 PM by juner »

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2018, 01:37:05 AM »
Upcute for effort posts

retrogamer

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2018, 03:51:44 AM »
I got Breath of the Wild two weeks ago and I've been playing that a lot. It's still the only game I have for the Switch. Probably will buy Mario soon.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2018, 10:32:34 PM »
i got breath of the weath and super marios game for christmas...... ive only played a bit of zelda because i got kinda addicted to mario...... i got 999 moons like a sucker even tho theres only 880 unique moons and the rest you just grind money to buy. i did the stupid sky area in bowsers kingdom like 40 times to get coins

i agree with hubol that the post game stuff is kinda stupid (altho i thought the [sp]mushroom kingdom[/sp] was sorta cute) but its interesting to me how they designed the game around traversing the same areas over and over again, finding new ways to get around with your cool moveset. that was a big part of mario 64 and sunshine because you got kicked out of the level every time you got a major collectible, and i was curious how odyssey would play with that mechanic removed..... it feels like they kept the spirit of 64 and sunshine alive even without that mechanic.....

its interesting to compare odyssey to banjo kazooey and donkey kongs 64, which also removed the kicking you out of the level thing..... i find the rare games so much more boring than 64 and sunshine..... it sorta makes it clear how important good movement is to me in a 3d platformer, and level design that lets you do interesting things with the movement (which i think odyssey is really good at, theres so many fun shortcuts and stuff)
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2018, 10:37:38 PM »
oh yeha i forgot to say, the 1up girl song is an essentially perfect cheesy videogame vocal track, up there with stuff like i am the wind and escape from the city

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2018, 02:46:28 AM »
is it as good as snake eater though

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2018, 03:01:57 AM »
im not in the business of ranking cheesy videogame vocal tracks, they are all beautiful

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2018, 03:08:56 AM »
heres the song in context if you dont wanna or cant play marios odyssey.... (if you do wanna play the vid is spoilery)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

haipa

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2018, 03:57:12 AM »
some pretty nice effortposts here lately, gonna have to hand out some

haipa

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2018, 07:48:46 PM »
also, mattmakesgames made it into the latest nintendo direct:

juner

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2018, 10:06:19 PM »
excited for celeste!!  :strawberry:

retrogamer

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2018, 01:34:08 AM »
i would definitely recommend celeste. i picked it up last week for the switch and it has been a lot of fun. i'm happy that matt's getting all that new exposure.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2018, 02:10:54 AM »
im playing it too its pretty good but i also just wanna play zeldon again......