Author Topic: animes  (Read 26610 times)

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
Re: animes
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2017, 11:27:54 AM »
I will say, the music is infinitely better in season 2.  That bubblegum pop fight song they constantly played in season 1 worked wonders to destroy any tension in the moment.  At least in the English version.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 03:12:20 PM »
The thing I don't get is why the kids still need to hide the existence of Digimon from their parents?  This is only a few years after big ass dinosaur Digimon and shit attacked the real world, so it can't be that everybody has simply forgotten.  I could maybe get the new kids doing it, but the older kids were literally seen off by their parents as they flew into a giant magic beam of light that took them to the Digi-world.  Why are they hiding their Digimon now?

I dun geddit.
yeah its weird..... maybe they dont want their parents 2 know that they are still digi-adventuring since its dangerous....

idk what the english version is like but the jp version of season 1 plays this cheesy song in pretty much every fight scene.... it kinda owns imo
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 07:14:38 PM »
What the heck is a Destiny Stone why has nobody mentioned the existence of these apparently incredibly important things until just now

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 07:17:35 PM »
They referred to this lady as "Arukenimon" for about 10 episodes before the "big reveal" that she was actually a digimon oh my god.

I'm gonna assume that one comes down to translation error.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 11:32:06 PM »
nah i think thats how it went down in the jp version too.... i dont think the kids knew her name though so i guess its one of those things where the audience is supposed to know but the characters arent

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2017, 05:52:05 PM »

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2017, 01:42:04 AM »
are you marahtoning digital monsters squeel?

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2017, 02:13:49 AM »
I suppose so.  I don't really know what happened, I was just going to watch the first few episodes for nostalgia.  Tough to stop once you've started, though.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
Wait what the heck just happened in the last 5 minutes of season 2?  They kill the bad guy and suddenly it's the future where everybody gets a Digimon and there's ambassadors and free travel between worlds and the broody guy gets the girl.  whaaat

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2017, 12:38:43 AM »
I like season 3 better already.  The characters don't seem to be completely awful like season 2.

Except the merchandising is pretty darn blatant now.  CHECK OUT THESE SWIPE CARDS YOU CAN BUY

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2017, 05:27:06 AM »
Noooo, Davis narrates all the outros.  Don't do this to me, Digimon.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2017, 07:37:52 AM »
Netflix removed Digimon from streaming in the middle of me watching it.  Are you fucking kidding me?

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2017, 08:25:29 AM »
And thus ends the Digimon journey.

Season 1: I liked the episodes that I actually remembered as a kid.  Some good nostalgia fuel.  More objectively, it was kinda slow and extremely formulaic.
Season 2: Every new character was awful.  Some of the old characters became more charming.  A ton of digivolution padding.  One episode I swear did the full evolution sequence for every single digimon in a row.  Took like 2-3 minutes.  The "dark ocean" stuff seemed interesting but didn't really go anywhere.
Season 3: Actually... kinda good.  Overall writing and animations improved, less padding.  The kids were more likable.  Feels like there's a bit more depth in there.  Can't help but feel the entire cards gimmick was a ploy to make me buy toys, though.

Also I'm very confused about the season 2 > 3 jump.  I think they just dropped the canon completely?  But they made it sound like the S3 teacher is grown up Kari, so I don't bloody know.

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2017, 04:43:15 AM »
if by season 3 u mean digimon tamers, ive never watched that but i think its supposed to be kind of a standalone thing from the first two seasons? whereas season 2 is a direct sequel to season 1

theres a recent-ish series called "digimon adventure tri" which is a direct sequel to seasons 1 & 2 (focusing on the s1 characters) but i dont think its dubbed, and also its not even finished yet..... it has a weird release format where they release like 4-5 episodes at a time every few months, and theyve only released four "chunks" of episodes out of six total

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2017, 05:00:07 AM »
if by season 3 u mean digimon tamers
I think so.  Netflix displayed them as different seasons in the same series, but it seemed pretty different compared to the first two.

theres a recent-ish series called "digimon adventure tri" which is a direct sequel to seasons 1 & 2 (focusing on the s1 characters) but i dont think its dubbed
I don't normally mind subtitles, but for me this is a "put it on the other monitor for background noise" type of show.  So dubbed is the only way this'll work.

Also by the way Davis is a bad character.