Author Topic: All To Get Her  (Read 104972 times)

vgperson

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 110
  • guess i'll have to... make them fall.
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
All To Get Her
« on: June 04, 2017, 01:29:22 AM »

It's been released! If Cutey people want itch.io download codes, I can PM them.

Here's the release beta for All To Get Her, my new game (priced at $5) that I've been working on furiously since the start of May, as a relatively-straightforward break from my maybe-too-ambitious project Loverinth. Its gameplay is a successor to Base Attack Puzzle, except you can move further, are slightly less grid-bound, and there are two of you, so you can play solo and switch characters or play local co-op.

Also unlike BAPuz, it has a story and it is MUCH gayer.

You can access a level select from the pause menu (in the real game, this is unlocked after beating it), where you can jump to any point or do time trials.

Also accessible from the level select is the Dungeon Editor, where you can make single-screen levels or whole dungeons if you want. Basically all the objects I plan on having are in there already. Pressing 9 in the editor exports the current dungeon as a "locked dungeon" starting from the current level, and puts a string representation on your clipboard which can be imported by other players. I'll probably make all the main game levels myself, but if you guys want to make some levels, I could officially offer them as a Cutey Bonus Pack or something.

If you need it, dungeons (and the main save file) are saved in C:/Users/___/AppData/LocalLow/vgperson/All To Get Her.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 06:44:19 PM by vgperson »

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
Re: All To Get Her (Cutey Preview)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 05:46:21 AM »
ah cute i'll check it out 2-morrow!!!!

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 09:57:42 AM »
Is the dialogue supposed to be off-screen?  Not sure if feature or bug.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 10:05:31 AM »
Hrmm, yeah I think something might be broken.  I finished the dialogue and then it's just a blank screen.

There were no characters, backgrounds, or anything throughout.  Text and sounds worked, though.

output_log.txt

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 05:45:47 PM »
is this game maker? i wonder if it doesnt like your high dpi display

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 05:47:31 PM »
yeha i get the same problem as cook.... also when i go to the level select and pick a level i just get an empty screen with a timer in it.....

also when i try to start the game up again after quitting, i just get a black screen (as in the whole screen goes black except the mouse cursor, not just a black window).... this is the output log
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
i deleted the data in appdata/locallow and it still didnt load..... so i  deleted the whole game & redownloaded and it still didnt load..... is there another config file somewhere i need to delete?

the dungeon editor works tho and i made a shitty one-screen level, the goal is to get both girls into the Slime Pit. i cant convert it to string form though because the game wont run so heres a zip of my dungeons folder
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 05:55:40 PM »
im really curious to see what the actual levels are like.... theres a lot of stuff u can do with the mechanics its kinda overwhelming

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 06:15:35 PM »
btw im using a new ass laptop with windows 10 on it..... im assuming cook is on win10 as well.... my old laptop broke so i cant check how it works on win7

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 06:32:08 PM »
Okay, apparently I'm really dumb and never tested running the game outside of my project directory, and this makes it fail to actually find and load the official level files. This is what causes the levels to be blank and the level select to have no level names. I'll try to figure this out.

It's made with Unity. And the currently-available levels aren't super complex, as I'm pacing out the introduction of objects - Areas 0 and 1 don't use any of the mana-changing gates and Asha only has the throw gloves.

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 07:27:25 PM »
Okay, I think it works now! Redownload while I play aimaina's Slime Level.

EDIT: Man this is hard. I expected the mechanics would combine in interesting ways once everything was available, but this does a Lot to show that for having such a simple design and being made by someone who just downloaded the game. Good Job!!

MORE IMPORTANT EDIT: Oh frick, that other error, right. Turns out it doesn't like it if you start the game in fullscreen. Should be able to fix it. In the meantime, open HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/vgperson/All To Get Her in regedit, and change the "Fullscreen" key to 0.

EDIT AGAIN: Reuploaded with a fullscreen fix. It shouldn't freeze now, though I should probably further test that the letter/pillarboxing works properly. To be fair (to me), the pixel size in fullscreen looks ugly at my resolution.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:06:46 PM by vgperson »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 09:07:47 PM »
wow thank im glad u like my lev!!  :apple:

i think 0-12 is kinda broken....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 09:10:40 PM »
Man, I didn't think of using the initial state of 0-11 to bring a box, only the solved state. Well then.

Yeah, the idea is you try to make a staircase like before but are missing the box in the floor you can't grab, so once you touch that spot you can only reach with a partial staircase, the timer for the scene starts. I'll figure out a way to prevent bringing a box in, I guess.

EDIT: Doesn't look as nice, but I think this formation will "filter" boxes (for Asha).

Also, at first I did have it so the scene triggered after a set amount of time in the pit, but it makes less sense if it begins before the player realizes it's not solvable, and it seems annoying to have to wait ten seconds or something when you know exactly what to do. Though the latter may not mean much considering you can enable abridged scenes after beating the game.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:32:00 PM by vgperson »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 09:42:02 PM »
beat all the world 0 staff times..... im assuming theyre really "staff times rounded up" tho

i havent actually tried w1 yet.....

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 10:09:30 PM »
finished world 1 its a cute game so far.....

not sure if i can beat the w1 staff times.... controlling both characters effectively is rly hard

vgperson

• Cutest
    • View Profile
    • vgperson.com
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »
Yeah, the staff times are rounded up since I want them to actually be beatable.

Yep, efficiently moving both characters is tough. I don't have any good way of finding the fastest times for two-player mode, so they'll probably just be the same for that, and thus may be really easy to beat.