Author Topic: i like them and they are fluffy  (Read 21753 times)

🐰 goodies 🐰

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 39
  • avvo by Flipy
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Him, he
Re: i like them and they are fluffy
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2021, 07:39:07 PM »
I'm not sure if newer frameworks are necessarily getting higher-level.  There's definitely abstraction, but you're still generally just writing HTML+CSS+JS.  I guess you could say Svelte is a type of DSL due to its compilation step, but it's still basically just JS (or TypeScript).
Both React and Angular significantly change how you interact with the DOM (i.e. you don't), massively changing your approach and thinking as opposed to having a block of HTML, then a block of JS underneath it that manipulates DOM nodes directly. CSS is evolving a bit too, with compilers that make the "cascading" nature of it is a bit more manageable in larger apps.

Reactive programming and reactive stores significantly change the approach of fielding data and event management too, they are pretty much their own DSL.
🐰

🐰 goodies 🐰

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 39
  • avvo by Flipy
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Him, he
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2021, 07:44:25 PM »
Sudden memories of 1000 lines of jQuery code to do stuff that's basically just a few additional directives added to the DOM in Angular, glad I'm past those days
🐰

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2021, 09:26:06 PM »
I guess I was seeing it more from the perspective of what language you're writing in, rather than if you're interacting with the DOM.  But yeah data bindings and state management is just so much easier with a proper framework.  Having to hold onto values and keep the DOM in sync was a pain.

Honestly it sounds like you guys do more JS than I do.  I work more on sites than apps, so I mostly just get to dabble.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2021, 02:28:07 AM »
interesting! are you a freelancer or something?

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2021, 05:24:49 AM »
that was @cook btw

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2021, 10:12:31 AM »
Yeah, technically I'm a contractor.  I work exclusively with one company though so it's basically just an employer/employee relationship with some tax differences.

Lately I've been doing a lot of performance optimization work.  Basically finding and fixing bottlenecks to make pages load faster.  I've had an interest in the topic for a while (you probably remember me talking about CSS spritesheets a few years back), and the market seems to be growing.  So I've been enjoying that type of work.