Author Topic: video gim 2 thousand and 020  (Read 37247 times)

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
Re: video gim 2 thousand and 020
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2021, 08:25:02 PM »
do yall ever miss the ol' makegamesforums

certainly i miss aspects of it. it was nice that it was active, and it had people who were really passionate about niche things. i used to really enjoy q's sense of humor and people's banter. it was exciting to post your work and see what people were working on, even though the status quo was to shit on everyone. obviously a lot of us were extremely toxic, and it strongly affected my psyche. i wish we were all nicer to each other, but still funny

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2021, 09:45:46 PM »
We were pretty shitty to each other, weren't we?

Though I do miss dropping the odd ducko.

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2021, 01:39:18 AM »
yeah a lot of bad vibes in those days... certainly some people got it worse than others...

🐰 goodies 🐰

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 39
  • avvo by Flipy
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Him, he
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2021, 04:24:39 PM »
I feel like a bunch of us (myself esp.) caught the wave of "be shitty, sarcastic, and aloof and you'll be a cool funny dood" that communities like 4Chan and SomethingAwful had going

also young people doing the standard thing of trying to appear mature and witty, but misunderstanding and it comes out terribly
🐰

🐰 goodies 🐰

• Cuter
  • avvo by Flipy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2021, 04:27:37 PM »
also feel bad for behaviour when MMG started and we went over to carry the bad behaviour over, Maddy was just trying to focus on building a positive community around their games :(
🐰

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2021, 06:29:55 PM »
yeah it feels like a lot of us ignored the intent of the mmgf... it was just another place to be a huge asshole

🐰 goodies 🐰

• Cuter
  • avvo by Flipy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2021, 03:57:18 PM »
I definitely ignored the intent of the forums, tbh I never liked any of Maddy's games, I just joined cos Badwaffles talked about the place a bunch so I wanted in on the action

Don't think it was as straightforward as it being a place to be an asshole, it was still generally a community. It was just a community where general edginess and toxicity were easy ways for people to fit in. That's fairly common (unfortunately) in online communities (and school friend groups too tbh). This sort of behaviour breeds itself if it isn't dealt with, which they did do with MMGF. I think that's why MMGF was much better at being on topic than this community was at that point.
🐰

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2021, 06:11:49 PM »
To be fair to our earlier selves, we were mostly teenagers.  I think kids in general just haven't figured out their moral codes yet.  They're also under an immense amount of stress and social pressures.  So I do feel some regret, but I also kinda get it.

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2021, 07:00:48 AM »
as somebody that really enjoyed maddy's games, im sad that the mmgf was discontinued, but when i think about it yeah we probably weren't at all the kind of community maddy was hoping to create. i kind of wish i could have seen what the community would have looked like if it had persisted into the towerfall / celeste era though. it feels like that kind of community in general doesn't exist anymore though. it feels like everything is reddit or discord now, formats which im not a big fan of.

also even though looking back we definitely were hecka toxic, i think at that age i just kinda assumed that was how the internet was for the most part. and i even appreciated it to an extent because i felt like people were "real" with each other (in a sense uhh maybe im wild for thinking that way), which i appreciated. even back in peak "ducko" years i feel like i learned a lot about my personality that hopefully i was able to learn from and change for the better.

anyway though overall i just miss having stuff to talk about with people i guess, even if it was just nonsense most of the time.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:03:51 AM by dcco »