Author Topic: April 40 thread (real)  (Read 16675 times)

juner

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 101
    • View Profile
Re: April 40 thread (real)
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 11:01:16 PM »
started a new job early in the year and i think i've just about spent more time working from home than from the office now. it's ok but i'm finding it a bit tough to get help where i need it and stay motivated. kinda concerned that the lockdown is being eased quite quickly, so i'm not particularly eager to get back...

other than that i've found having a few things to look forward to each week helps, been joining a bunch of regular game music event quizzes at vgm-quiz.com and put together a games quiz for a few friends earlier this month. probably going to try and join the gmtk gamejam in a fortnight

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 11:31:49 PM »
I've been playing Satisfactory lately.  It's basically 3D Factorio.  Pretty good.

I spent the last 2 days digging into mail server configs to try and resolve some spam issues I've been having on my server.  Acronyms incoming:

So I set up SPF and DKIM which helped a lot.  I actually thought they were already enabled but I guess not.  Then set up DMARC which was more of a pain because it's per-domain, so I rigged up a system using CNAMEs to have a single canonical record.  Then had to fix an MX record that was missing on a subdomain.  Finally had to contact the host to update the PTR to resolve an SMTP hostname and banner mismatch, which was causing the forward-confirmed reverse DNS check to fail.  That was upsetting SpamAssassin.

I wasn't familiar with any of this before except for the basics.  Found some useful online tools which helped.  Might be a good candidate for a blog post.

Unrelated to that, I started growing some chili peppers.  Maybe I've mentioned that before but they're doing really well.  One is the length of my arm already.  I'm already in need of larger pots to transplant with.  I ordered some grow bags online, which were immediately marked as delayed.

I left them out yesterday which was probably a mistake.  Had some flowers wilt off from the excessive heat.  I'll be more careful about bringing them in when it's scorching out.

That's my memory dump of recent goings on.

Tinister

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 03:26:48 AM »
I started growing some chili peppers.  One is the length of my arm already.

That's a really long chili pepper.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 04:20:45 AM »
Me and my gf broke up after almost 7 years so that hasnt been great. need 2 find a place to live within less than a month, extremely lit. I made some music and games...

everything will be ok eventually~

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 11:16:49 AM »
Dang, man.  Really sorry to hear that.

Things are starting to unfreeze and it should be a little more possible to find an apartment or other place now.  Best of luck, hubs.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 01:22:34 PM »
i appreciate u :dancedog:

suizinshu

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 69
  • house finch
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2020, 10:29:31 PM »
oh god that is horrible.... i'll do my best to also send you energy. you got this!

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 05:07:39 PM »
So I set up SPF and DKIM which helped a lot.  I actually thought they were already enabled but I guess not.  Then set up DMARC which was more of a pain because it's per-domain, so I rigged up a system using CNAMEs to have a single canonical record.  Then had to fix an MX record that was missing on a subdomain.  Finally had to contact the host to update the PTR to resolve an SMTP hostname and banner mismatch, which was causing the forward-confirmed reverse DNS check to fail.  That was upsetting SpamAssassin.

this truly is a lot of acronyms lol. also - you run a blog? i didnt know this whole time lol

also dang 7 years, that must be tough hubs u_u. Hope you're doing okay.

for me - ive just been doing my research - it's actually surprisingly difficult to be motivated though because even though i have a lot more free time, the lack of human contact is just very demotivating. ive also been drawing a lot more,, thinking of making a short comic if i ever have the time. also america is wildin in general so there's that i went to a BLM protest that was in my area.

Tinister

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 06:17:14 PM »
Acronyms truly suck.  I've lately been making the conscious effort to always type them out.

Always.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 06:52:58 PM »
Some of these are probably better known by their acronym than the full text.

AcronymExpanded FormNotes
SPFSender Policy FrameworkAuthenticates at the DNS level for a domain
DKIMDomainKeys Identified MailAdds signature to mail headers to prove it came from your server
DMARCDomain-based Message Authentication, Reporting and ConformancePiggybacks on SPF and DKIM; specifies rejection policy and error reporting addresses
MXMail Exchange recordWhere the mail server is for the domain in question
PTRPointerUsed for reverse DNS; points an IP to a domain
SMTPSimple Mail Transfer Protocol
FCrDNSForward-confirmed reverse DNSA check that the PTR and A record create a circle, proving complete ownership
DNSDomain Name System
CNAMECanonical Name RecordAn alias of another record

Tinister

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 02:12:30 AM »
Do free domain name system services provided by budget registrars make pointer records?

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 05:38:31 AM »
It would actually be at your server host, or whoever manages the IP address.  Sometimes it's available in the client area.

Tinister

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2020, 02:48:07 AM »
retrogamer subscribed to me on YouTube.

I thought that guy died.

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2020, 08:50:29 PM »
that name's a real throwback

speaking of throwbacks (looks around wildly for the qman)

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2020, 12:05:34 PM »
Hope you folks are doing better now that some time has passed.  It's been a rough one, but I'm feeling more optimistic about 2021.