Author Topic: What the hell happened to Gamemaker?  (Read 10624 times)

GanonsSpirit

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 1
    • View Profile
What the hell happened to Gamemaker?
« on: May 16, 2020, 01:52:22 AM »
I haven't used it since version 7 something, but I've been feeling kinda burned out on traditional coding lately and I figured I'd play around with Gamemaker a little. So I go to the website and the only version they have available is Studio 2 and the only free option is a 30-day trial. So now I'm downloading 8.1 off some shady website, hoping the only virus I get is herpes when I contract it from the back-alley blowjobs I'll have to give out to afford my next fix.

Mark Overmars is preemptively turning in his grave.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
Re: What the hell happened to Gamemaker?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 02:16:13 AM »
im not sure exactly what you are upset about re: game maker but i have my own set of issues with game maker's current incarnation and its future. i could list them but i dont think it would be very helpful for anyone...

what do you mean by "traditional coding"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 02:18:00 AM by hubol »

GanonsSpirit

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 03:40:41 AM »
Go ahead and list them. This is the ranting about Gamemaker topic.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 10:46:17 AM »
Last time I used GameMaker it was far more restricted than its old editions.  I couldn't compile an executable, and there were onerous restrictions on the number of resources you could create.

In contrast I've been spending some time with Godot and enjoying it.  The scene/node system is a different way of thinking, but it grows on you.  It's completely free and open-source, and seems to be developing at a much faster pace than GM ever did.

GanonsSpirit

• Cutey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 08:28:30 PM »
Maybe I'll try out Godot. I've been hearing a lot of buzz about it lately.

wilde32

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 24
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Consider replacing your battery.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 10:40:20 PM »
Game Maker Studio 1.4 was actually really good - it was basically Game Maker 8 with a ton of quality of life improvements, including optimised collision systems, OGG support, short circuit evaluations, the fact that all of your code is converted to C++ and then compiled (this provides a MASSIVE performance boost - I remember one of my old games ran at ~50fps in GM 8.1 but once I imported it into Studio 1.4 it ran at about 400fps) and - best of all - the free version of it had no restrictions beyond compiling platforms (you needed an upgraded license to compile for mobile and other devices, but you could make EXEs using the free version without any restrictions)

Unfortunately when Studio 2.0 came around I think they realised that could make more money by forcing everyone to buy a license to get all that. As a result GMS2's trial is pathetically limited. The worst part about all of this is that you can't get the free license of Studio 1.4 anymore - people that already had it get to keep it but they won't give out any new ones. They even removed the Game Maker Studio 1.4 page from Steam entirely, meaning you can't download it unless you already had it to begin with.

If I were you I would look for a crack of Studio 1.4, if you can find one.

marbles-box

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 11:09:09 PM »
ah gamemaker studio 2 release was a fun experience. i thought to myself "perhaps i should try this out- it has 30 day free trial" and so i installed it and my free trial had evidently expired despite never having used the soft ware. this is why i am on and would also recommend gamemaker studio 1.4.9999. i have an installer for it at my fingertips and i can upload it at request

wilde32

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 11:14:38 PM »
ah gamemaker studio 2 release was a fun experience. i thought to myself "perhaps i should try this out- it has 30 day free trial" and so i installed it and my free trial had evidently expired despite never having used the soft ware. this is why i am on and would also recommend gamemaker studio 1.4.9999. i have an installer for it at my fingertips and i can upload it at request
Does that installer work without requiring an account / license? If it does then that would be useful for me too when I work on projects with friends that don't have GMS1.4

marbles-box

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 11:29:18 PM »
Does that installer work without requiring an account / license? If it does then that would be useful for me too when I work on projects with friends that don't have GMS1.4
going to do the funny thing where i nest multiple quotes. I'm pretty sure that you only need the license to get full flavored version and its not required for install. also third time trying to post this because the previous two times i got timed out. might have something to do with attaching the installer (file of size 82 mb) while the maximum upload size here is 128 kb apparently. i'll try to figure out a file hosting solution. probably just a throwaway mega account

wilde32

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 11:32:49 PM »
going to do the funny thing where i nest multiple quotes. I'm pretty sure that you only need the license to get full flavored version and its not required for install. also third time trying to post this because the previous two times i got timed out. might have something to do with attaching the installer (file of size 82 mb) while the maximum upload size here is 128 kb apparently. i'll try to figure out a file hosting solution. probably just a throwaway mega account
le funny triple quote

128kb max? how old is SMF lol

i use google drive to upload stuff to send to other people, you get 15GB free storage

marbles-box

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 11:43:35 PM »
le funny triple quote

i use google drive to upload stuff to send to other people, you get 15GB free storage
quad quote time. i'm a true forum user now
i have funny upload now https://mega.nz/file/HO4GGCSa#IQJXwCeTCN0ynBBer_d37B3DMo3txlhdNtl676ZMZgc

wilde32

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 12:10:52 AM »
le funny triple quote

i have funny upload now https://mega.nz/file/HO4GGCSa#IQJXwCeTCN0ynBBer_d37B3DMo3txlhdNtl676ZMZgc

My friend tried it and still got the login screen, is that normal?

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 12:31:31 AM »
theres a thing called firefox send for expiring uplods that is actually good, i recommend it!

marbles-box

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 12:36:11 AM »
le funny triple quote

My friend tried it and still got the login screen, is that normal?

(actively destroying the thread with nested quotes)
oh no, i might have been wrong about needing to input stuff. i'm sorry about that. though i could have sworn that i got it running on a windows vm that was completely isolated from the internets. maybe i have lost my marbles. speaking of losing marbles, yeah i should use that firefox send utility in the future instead of mega

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 10:37:04 AM »
game maker studio 2 isnt too bad if you purchase it (its still got some janky shit going on but i dont think i could go back to any earlier version) but the free trial business is terrible..... they announced it as a "full featured" free trial so i thought oh well you only have 30 days but i guess you can export stuff you make during that time period at least? nope no exports unless you buy it.....
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination