Author Topic: Jumper Two is coming to teh mobile!  (Read 64386 times)

Yambam

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 4
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
  • Pronouns: he, him
Jumper Two is coming to teh mobile!
« on: September 26, 2016, 08:23:38 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm making a mobile port of Jumper Two. I got my hands on the Humble GameMaker Bundle two weeks ago and I think this is about the 8th day I'm working on Jumper Two for Android!

:banana: I'll let you guys test it soon (check out the link under the videos!), here are some video's demonstrating the first few sectors of the game on my Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 5.0.1 (there are still some bugs).

First stages of Jumper Two working! - Just needed to fix those running skills of Ogmo's... You can still see some debugging stuff here.

The Conductor!

First release! Android
http://imanuelhab.mooo.com/builder?apk
First release! Windows 7+
http://imanuelhab.mooo.com/builder?exe
First release! Windows Vista and older
http://imanuelhab.mooo.com/builder?zip

Also, if you don't have Android 5.1.1 and you do want to try my game, I suggest upgrading (as I will do), because there seems to be a touch bug in at least in Android 4.4.2 / 5.1.1 as far as I can tell (the touch sometimes gets stuck when I release my finger off of the screen). It could also be because my brother Michael has a different phone, he has a Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini.

P.S. The new site is looking very cool!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:45:15 AM by Yambam »

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
Re: Jumper Two is coming to teh mobile!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:38:17 PM »
Just one warning though, the .apk is currently 61,90 MB, but if you could help me with compressing it or something that would be great! There are about 18 MP3's in the game, all converted from MIDI, picked from 2 different sound fonts.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:34:47 AM by Yambam »

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 08:48:13 PM »
Yeah, them mp3s would be a problem.  You could probably compress them down to a lower quality variable bitrate, but a native midi player would be even better.

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 09:03:45 PM »
Yeah, them mp3s would be a problem.  You could probably compress them down to a lower quality variable bitrate, but a native midi player would be even better.
The bitrate is 192kbps currently and that sounds best (obviously), I tried 128kbps, but it seems to add some kind of white noise. A MIDI player would also not be ideal, because I can't find a single sound font that sounds as good as Microsoft Wavetable Synth, so that's why I chose between two sound fonts manually. I don't know of any Android MIDI system extension for GM:Studio anyway.

I've had lots of fun porting Jumper Two by the way! Lots of find and replace in the beginning, but now I'm in the stage of mostly playing and seeing what problems come up. Earlier this year (or was it already a year ago) I made a 60 FPS version of Jumper Two in Game Maker 8.0. You could check out that one if you want, it's not nearly as big! Just let me know if you want it. :)

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
The full game size would only be a one-time download anyway though. I've been working on a system where I only have to upload scripts written in GML to my server. It even works on GM:Studio, which is both execute_string-less and execute_file-less, so I use my own technique for that. I compile the GML to bytecode. ;D

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 09:11:58 PM »
you should use OGG files for a couple reasons:
-smaller size
-MP3s generate gaps at the beginning of the file, making them terrible for looping

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 09:12:13 PM »
The full game size would only be a one-time download anyway though. I've been working on a system where I only have to upload scripts written in GML to my server. It even works on GM:Studio, which is both execute_string-less and execute_file-less, so I use my own technique for that. I compile the GML to bytecode. ;D

Frankly that sounds like a backdoor.

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 09:14:21 PM »
what exactly is the purpose of that

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »
what exactly is the purpose of that

Frankly that sounds like a backdoor.
Yeah it's mainly intented to become an instant (realtime) bug fix feature for Closed Beta testers.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:16:21 PM by Yambam »

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 09:15:32 PM »
you should use OGG files for a couple reasons:
-smaller size
-MP3s generate gaps at the beginning of the file, making them terrible for looping
Hey I'll try this then! Thanks! :sonic:

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 09:17:31 PM »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 12:08:26 AM »
wow thats pretty cool!! seems like it would be tricky 2 play with touch controls though.....
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 12:42:37 AM »
idk if i told u all but i have a stupid "retina" screen now and game maker games fonts are enormous

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 05:33:15 AM »
wow thats pretty cool!! seems like it would be tricky 2 play with touch controls though.....
I thought that would be the case too before I began, but then I tried the first stage and my controls were better than I thought! I just added some kind of auto-double-jump auto-wall-jump and made the skid jump thresold friendlier for mobile eventually. :D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:41:57 AM by Yambam »

Yambam

• Cutey
    • View Profile
    • Jumper Two for Mobile!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 05:40:13 AM »
idk if i told u all but i have a stupid "retina" screen now and game maker games fonts are enormous
How does it look like? Could you show me some screens? Wait, there isn't Retina for Android, is there? I can't quite compile to iOS without any help from someone else, because I don't have a Mac with Mac OS X 10.6 or higher.