Author Topic: Hey, I'm someone who was active on the MattMakesGames forums back in the day  (Read 15448 times)

wilde32

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 24
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Consider replacing your battery.
I remember getting banned and not much else.

I was a dumb early teen back then.

Nijuu

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 26
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: any
i could never get past the grape room on the highest difficulty i tried. i forget if it was masterful or insanity

Nijuu

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 26
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: any
aus is one of my all time favorite games and im a little sad i never beat it on the highest difficulty in all honesty

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
There's still time!

wilde32

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 24
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Consider replacing your battery.
I did eventually beat BlackCastle on Masterful but I gave up on the final boss. It's just too long and tedious for me to have the patience for it, especially since each form takes multiple hits and there's like 4 forms and after that you have to do a survive-the clock gauntlet while you're only able to survive 4 hits yourself.

Sometimes I wish I could go back and replay AUS without knowing all the areas. I remember really enjoying the exploration aspect as a kid when I first played it. To think it came out in 2007, I was only 9 at the time... well, I remember the game costing 1 dollar for a while, I think I was a little older than that when I first played it. Maybe like 11 or so. That reminds me of all the times I wanted to play those shareware games on the computer as a kid but my parents refused to pay for anything online back then. I had so many of those free trials of games on my old PC which I think was an old work tower from my uncle's office or something which he gave to me.

In some ways I'm kind of glad my parents never supervised my internet access because while I definitely did visit some stuff I shouldn't have, being exposed to online communities (which can be quite harsh at times) made me a fairly humble person.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 09:06:01 PM by wilde32 »

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
I thought FinalBoss on Masterful was tolerable because the first four forms can be done no damage pretty consistently once you memorize it, and the fifth form also has a pattern that makes him easy (in a relative sense) up until the last 30 seconds. But yeah the 10 minutes it takes to get through everything is definitely kinda bad lol.

And yeah for all its jank AUS is defs a special game - I don't think there's ever been another Metroidvania that's really felt the same. I'd like to see Maddie try to apply her current game dev skills to a game like that - even though I'm sure making a game of that scale is grueling.

cati

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 67
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
they said the new game they're working on, earthblade, is going to be an "exploraction" game, so it sounds like that might be the jumper->celeste equivalent for aus.
this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

cati

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 67
    • View Profile
i get what you mean about aus btw.

i think compared to a lot of other metroidvanias, there's a lot less combat and a lot more platforming, and the player character being so small on screen gives it a different vibe to other games too. it makes the world feel a lot bigger.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 06:13:37 PM by cait »
this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
I really enjoyed the different biomes as well.  Every area had a unique feel that made exploration really enjoyable.  The multitude of bosses and abilities also made it rewarding to explore.

suizinshu

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 69
  • house finch
    • View Profile
The way the secrets were included always made you curious about revisiting places, because each place felt unique and handcrafted. It was a nice contrast from some other metroidvanias where secret-finding felt tedious (i.e. trying to walk against / bomb every wall, dig every floor and ceiling)

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
they said the new game they're working on, earthblade, is going to be an "exploraction" game, so it sounds like that might be the jumper->celeste equivalent for aus.

wow this is actually cool didnt hear about this. sounds like it'll still be a while out but very exiting

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
also yeah all of those things were definitely cool parts of AUS. the gameplay was always fun even though yeah there wasnt a lot of action or story / finding secrets was very satisfying compared to other games / i think the *relative* lack of polish compared to modern indies allowed for a huge level of creativity in terms of the locations.

honestly i think a lot about AUS and what made it special for me and it's hard to pinpoint something exactly. like idk it was just fun to find new places and fill up the world map.

yup

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 5
    • View Profile
I remember being a mod. Those were some wild ass times I tell ya. Haha. So stressful. I think I pissed a lot of people off. Consider this my extremely late apology. With great power came great responsibity. and I really dicked it up. lolol.

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
woah what's up yup.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
hey gamer