Author Topic: video gim 2 thousand and 020  (Read 37335 times)

haipa

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 20
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
video gim 2 thousand and 020
« on: January 01, 2020, 01:33:00 AM »
i dunno if there are still yearly video game topics on here but it's 2020 and i remembered this place exists so here it is

juner

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 101
    • View Profile
Re: video gim 2 thousand and 020
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 02:53:41 AM »
Video's game are good  :apple:

I meant to write up some short thoughts on some games i played last year in, last year, but here they are now

Crosscode - The first game i played last year and one of my faves. Excellent mechanics that work both in making a tight arcadey fast-paced combat system & clever puzzle design and interactions. The dungeons are dense, the bosses are neat, the sidequests are significant and unique, the music is wonderfully nostalgic, & the story and characters are really nice.

To the Top - Cute VR platformer that doesn't really care about realism but more the aesthetic of movement, bounding from support to support with the release of the triggers. Good time that i thought worked p well within the limitations of vr.

Baba is You - Excellent moments of eureka, my fave sort of videogame puzzle where you examine all the tools at your disposal and kinda reverse engineer a solution.

Beat Saber - It's Like Aerobeat Plus but without the bottle

Supraland - Really cool and often unexpected escalation of powers in a 3d metroidvania, with a wild sense of freedom as you reach the end of the game.

Eastshade - Chill game where you hike/bike around and make paintings for people. It really nailed the feeling you get when you wander off the beaten track and stumble across something cool or interesting or just a vaguely nice piece of grass that you might not have seen otherwise.

Outer Wilds - I loved this for a lot of the same reasons i've loved Myst and Obduction. Just going around learning things and having lil eureka moments as you put the pieces together is always satisfying, as is the sense of physicality in how you can traverse and bump up against the world. The simulation in play never ceases to be impressive and is a great use of a time loop. 

DQB2 - Great sequel to a great game! The simulation of the other villagers and their needs isn't super in depth but is very compelling at making you want to design and improve your villages. Like putting the main quest on hold for four hours because you need to install more public toilets and maybe a full bathhouse would be nice. Malroth is the best.

Pupy World - Excellent explorey platformer! The updig and throw mechanics add a really fun and playful level of improvisation and it was fun to try and untangle the knot of deliveries to make to plan a speedrun.

Your Turn to Die - I'm a sucker for this style of visnovs and the like... The 'trial' segments are some of my faves in the genre. Despite not being as directly connected to anything previous like e.g. a danganronpa trial, they still manage to naturally tie into the previous events of the chapter, and hold a lot of intrigue and surprises. I'm looking forward to part 3, where i feel I might regret some of my previous choices.

AI: The Somnium Files - Naturally being a sucker for the aforementioned style of visnov, I played and really enjoyed Uchikoshi's new game. Date and Aiba have a v dumb and fun dynamic, and the way the story pans out is just as I've come to know and love. Thank you for the delicious soup.

Raging Loop - kinda bought on a whim because I read it was the Werewolf party game but as a visnov and I really wanted to know how that would actually work in an interesting fashion. Turns out werewolf with pre-existing character relationships, longer passage of time and real stakes works really well! The main character is great and really sharp, the structure of the novel lends itself to some really fun moments, and I really dug the general mood and story. Would recommend! It has also made me want to go back and finish Umineko.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 01:25:20 PM »
Great recs juner.  I've had my eye on a few of these so it's good to see a second vote of confidence.

I also got into VR recently so I've been on the lookout for those titles.  Climbey has been a blast.  To the Top looks different but still very unique and interesting.

juner

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 101
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »
Climbey looks great, sadly not out on PSVR so I've not been able to play it. PSVR is a fun time but the limitations of always having to face the camera and have the controllers unobscured quickly becomes apparent.

Would like to get a Quest or something eventually, what other VR games would you recommend?

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 03:29:56 PM »
Cockpit games are really great.  Elite Dangerous is awesome in VR.  I'm not a huge sim racer but Assetto Corsa also seems to work really well.

I need to spend some more time with it but Skyrim VR seems like a good one so far.  Just close your eyes on the intro cart ride.

Tried Minecraft via the official Bedrock support and Vivecraft for the Java edition.  Both versions excel in different areas.  I think I prefer Vivecraft but it requires some additional setup.

I picked up In Death and Obduction but haven't given them a try yet.  Will have to report on them later.  Hellblade is also on the list.

Adr1ft and Redout made me a bit queasy.  Probably wouldn't recommend them.

I'm not too sure which of these titles supports PSVR.  I have a Samsung Odyssey+, which has similarly poor tracking but a pretty high resolution.  Quest would be a good option for hybrid gaming.  Go untethered for high-action stuff like Beatsaber, and switch over to tethered for something like Skyrim.  Though if you plan to do mostly PC VR, then a Rift S would be more comfortable to wear.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 03:32:32 PM by SquareWheel »

🐰 goodies 🐰

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 39
  • avvo by Flipy
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Him, he
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 09:33:17 AM »
VR wise I still need to finish Moss, my fave VR game for sure as it's adorable af and feels rewarding to play

Me and Thomas just started playjng EDF 5 because it's EDF so it's really stupid but fun

I wish I played more of a variety but we just end up playing more habitual games, rarely have the motivation to play new games through. I also only have to get huffy with a game once these days before I never touch it again
🐰

Tinister

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 04:58:16 AM »
Moss controls like ass on the Vive wands.  But that's the Vive's fault.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 06:19:37 PM »
I saw you'd played a bunch of VR games on Steam, Tinny.  Any favorites?

🐰 goodies 🐰

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 39
  • avvo by Flipy
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Him, he
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 06:25:02 PM »
Moss controls like ass on the Vive wands.  But that's the Vive's fault.
I always thought the Vive was better in general than the other stuff available, are the controllers just kinda naff?
🐰

Tinister

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 07:27:07 PM »
It was threea million years ago, now the Index is king.  Or maybe not I honestly haven't paid attention to the PSVR/Facebook headsets.

As it stands the Vive wand only has two buttons and a big touch pad (per hand).  Hitting different quadrants on the touch pad does the different jump, attack, evade, etc actions.  It's super easy to have your thumb on the wrong side of the touchpad.

I saw you'd played a bunch of VR games on Steam, Tinny.  Any favorites?

So far my favorite is Beat Saber but my game backlog extends to my VR collection. >_0

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 07:49:24 PM »
Haven't tried them yet but yeah the Knuckles controllers are probably the best right now.

The backlog is an untamable beast.  Legends say the beast only grows in length as it ages, and can never truly be vanquished.

Tinister

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 03:27:11 AM »
I just sold my Vive on the Facebook marketplace.

I should have checked if the Index was in stock first...

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 09:37:53 PM »
has anyone here actually played celeste and if so do you think it's worth getting for PC? it hasnt appealed to me thus far cuz ive already played a bunch of matt games, but i hear the atmosphere/story is pretty good so im a little curious now (mostly blind about it atm)

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 10:57:48 PM »
I haven't but I really should.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile