Author Topic: ducko game  (Read 13407 times)

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
ducko game
« on: October 26, 2021, 06:06:13 AM »
EDIT:

Link to current version of game :)

https://jlasers.itch.io/mays-quest

--------------
Hi all cutey zoners  :dancedog: :dancedog: :dancedog:

I've been working on a game. Usually when I post about games here I post and then they die, but I've really been trying to pull myself together and actually finish one. I'm pretty close (I think I'll have a complete alpha version done by the end of the week give or take). So I thought I'd post about it.

Here's a video of some gameplay (slightly old tho)

:watermelon: :watermelon:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 08:17:45 AM by dcco »

aimaina

• Administrator
  • Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 211
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: she/her
Re: ducko game
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 03:49:17 PM »
aw that looks cute & cool.... is the music from another game? it sounds vaguely familiar to me
~Without love, the truth cannot be seen~

this is watermelon :watermelon: put her in your signature so she can achieve world domination

juner

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 101
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 04:49:50 PM »
looks cool! i watched the tower boss too and that's a fun visual effect

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 06:06:42 PM »
thanks - that tower thing took me the whole day to code lol.

aw that looks cute & cool.... is the music from another game? it sounds vaguely familiar to me

yeah im going the 2008 vg route and stealing midis from other games. the boss music is the boss music from shatterhand. the music which plays for like 3 seconds before that is rt 119 from pokemon emerald

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 01:18:31 AM »
That looks really cool.  Feels super nostalgic but the movement looks fluid.  Makes me want to play it!

I think the only thing that looked off is that there's no feedback when you hit the baddie.  Maybe a bit of screen shake or color the segment briefly?  Probably already in the plans because everything else looks so good.

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 01:20:25 AM »
Oh man and your tower video with this boss looks even better.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 05:08:10 AM »
the tower is very cute i want to steal it for something. the main chara and the blue enemy are super cute too

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 08:44:52 AM »
thanks all

here's the version with the tower for people who dont want to find it on the channel

the tower is very cute i want to steal it for something.

feel free i stole it from level 12 of battletoads.

I think the only thing that looked off is that there's no feedback when you hit the baddie.  Maybe a bit of screen shake or color the segment briefly?  Probably already in the plans because everything else looks so good.

ill keep this in mind  - there's definitely stuff in other parts of the game too that look a little jank but not totally sure what to do with them lol.

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 12:03:26 AM »
okay jk did not finish this over the weekend because this part has been way harder to do that i thought it would be lmao

but finishing.... soon

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2021, 03:09:32 AM »
update - this game is still really close to being done but i got super busy with research again and so progress has stalled. but i will probably work on it again late january or something. RIP

tisokresia

• Cutey
  • Cutes: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 10:30:06 PM »
you got this ducko!!! i'm really excited to see where you go with this game

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 05:06:20 AM »
 :dancedog:

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 06:15:15 PM »
Hello friends!

Wanted to let y'all know that this project isn't dead. I lost motivation to work on it, but I recently found it again, and I'm also done now. I'm hoping to finish the beta this week :U

In the meantime, here's a random game I made called "Bird Orb". It's a mini-game I made to include in this game, but I decided to release it as a standalone.

Can be downloaded here - https://jlasers.itch.io/bird-orb
Let me know if you play it, and also if it works on your computer since my other game uses the same deployment process :U

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 02:55:53 AM »
Ah! I will play soon!!!

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 02:17:40 AM »
OK! I played. It is cute. I don't know how to restart when I lose, though, haha.

As for your deployment, it is probably okay for nerds. I suspect that a lot of people are downloading itch games, rather than using their steam-like launcher (I make this point because I believe that I read once that their launcher bundles a JRE). I think generally you will want to bundle your own JRE. Demanding that people install one from oracle can be kind of a lot, and you also don't indicate what JRE version you need. The version is important because Java is no longer backwards-compatible: they broke a lot of important hacks after Java 8, which might be used in the libraries you depend on, if not your own code.

For example, I wasn't able to run config.jar with my JRE. I don't know if it needs a version >8, or if I'm even supposed to run it. It wasn't clear from the stack trace:
Code: [Select]
C:\Users\hubol\Games\BirdOrb>"C:\Program Files\Oddwarg JRE 1.8\jre\bin\java.exe" -jar config.jar
Initial resource loading...
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at scala.collection.mutable.ArrayOps$ofRef$.newBuilder$extension(ArrayOps.scala:190)
        at scala.collection.mutable.ArrayOps$ofRef.newBuilder(ArrayOps.scala:186)
        at scala.collection.TraversableLike$class.filterImpl(TraversableLike.scala:246)
        at scala.collection.TraversableLike$class.filter(TraversableLike.scala:259)
        at scala.collection.mutable.ArrayOps$ofRef.filter(ArrayOps.scala:186)
        at z.sys.GFileMemory$.scan(FileMemory.scala:22)
        at a.KeyConfig$.main(KeyConfig.scala:24)
        at a.KeyConfig.main(KeyConfig.scala)

The unfortunate side effect is that your download size increases substantially, but that is a legacy concern at this point. I think most engines that people create games with nowadays bundle a runtime of some sort. In the past, I have created Windows executables for Java games that bundle a JRE with this tool: http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/ It is an OK experience.