Author Topic: sbw2  (Read 174917 times)

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
Re: sbw2
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2016, 11:05:11 PM »
i guess its also important to note that because of the nature of this game (minigame collection) there is an inherent varying degree of complexity for every scenario which makes this a more difficult problem....... but i'll definitely be more mindful of these issues when i make the 2 follow-up........

🐰 goodies 🐰

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 39
  • avvo by Flipy
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Him, he
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2016, 11:22:34 PM »
That works out in its favour I think, because the decoupling of objects makes them more extendable and interchangeable, meaning you can reuse and expand on existing stuff. You could end up with your own versatile framework for your minigames.

I will stop taking over your thread with programmy stuff now and return to the shadows
🐰

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2016, 11:25:51 PM »
I'm still trying to work out which programming patterns are the right ones to follow.  Sometimes abstraction is good (make code work anywhere!), sometimes it's bad (unnecessary complexity!).  Sometimes code reuse is good (proven edge cases!), sometimes it's bad (dependencies!).  It seems to largely be a game of choosing between pros/cons as you go.  Strict adherence to any pattern seems just as dangerous as following none.

This seems especially true in Java/OOP land, for whatever reason.

🐰 goodies 🐰

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 39
  • avvo by Flipy
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Him, he
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2016, 11:36:45 PM »
Pretty much ya. They stand as general guidelines to be mindful of to keep your code in a fit state, and as a way to think of solutions to existing technical debt. Imposing a fascist regime of code approval isn't really productive.
🐰

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2016, 02:09:31 AM »

jail

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2016, 02:17:10 AM »
I think I see the clever metaphor you're going for here.

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2016, 02:19:37 AM »
yes its very subtle

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2016, 10:00:44 PM »

ufosauce

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2016, 01:23:53 PM »
my heavens i like what you achieved in there

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2016, 04:23:10 AM »
i made a survey that u can fill out at the end of the game to report your fave and least fave minigames lol........... ive yet to get the backend implementation working but it will probably just be the same system that live forever uses to insert entries to a mysql table on my server

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2016, 03:51:49 AM »
i built my dumbass table and wrote the php script that the game will communicate with to modify the table...... also i kind of just recorded some noises and pitched them weirdly to produce all the survey navigation sounds and i'll probably do something similar to make some "ambient" music

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2016, 09:21:12 PM »
i made some weird pianomusic ft. a dog squeakin a toy!!!!!!!!! i also accidentally made the title screen music even though its a little weirdly melancholic

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2016, 02:44:22 AM »
My opinion on programming patterns is that they usually point to some fundamental failing in the programming language itself and its ability to express something. If you can keep in mind what the pattern is trying to fix then it's helpful. But yeah, there's no silver bullet to code design. In fact, I think code design (especially for larger projects) is probably the hardest part of actually programming.

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2016, 03:39:35 AM »
i mean i wouldnt say this particular case is "hard" but it's definitely "hard to do perfectly".......

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2016, 04:04:16 AM »
Interesting point, though I'm sure it can be applied everywhere.  Take Python for instance.  Arguably one of the better designed languages, yet has plenty of code standards as PEPs or similar.  Even so much that the concept exists of "pythonic" code.  There's generally a "correct" way to do any one thing.

Contrast that to PHP which has a million ways of completing any one task and the standards are few and far between.