Author Topic: Anyone still have Jumper Two sectors?  (Read 7004 times)

dcco

• Cutest
  • Cutes: 112
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone still have Jumper Two sectors?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2022, 02:47:56 AM »
i remember when maddy got a game on kongregate i thought that was hitting it big.

i remember playing moneyseize day of trying to be the first one to 100% it p sure vgperson beat me to it tho cuz im bad at secrets.

hubol

• Cutesterest
  • Cutes: 630
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2022, 04:12:52 AM »
i think zecks might have been the first one?? i think he got a cute thing in his mmgf profile for it haha

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2022, 02:46:28 AM »
oh it could have been zecks my memory of those times arent very clear

wilde32

• Cuter
  • Cutes: 24
    • View Profile
  • Pronouns: Consider replacing your battery.
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2022, 06:20:07 PM »
hey cook, steam doesn't let you use email to confirm market listings if you have two factor authentication set up

and recreating the auto-confirmer for mobile would be a huge pain, right
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 06:32:37 PM by wilde32 »

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2022, 10:37:28 PM »
Are you asking about my blog post last year?  If you're using two-factor, you could probably look into WinAuth.  I've heard others have success with that.

wilde32

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2022, 01:51:02 AM »
yes

and in semi-related news i hate electron

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2022, 06:14:35 AM »
what's wrong with electron? i have only used it for really dumb desktop apps

SquareWheel

• Administrator
  • Cutester
  • Cutes: 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2022, 11:32:25 AM »
UI frameworks are not in a great place.  Gtk is rough.  Qt is good but paid (sometimes).  .NET has WinForms, WPF, and MAUI with each having a major drawback.  There's Flutter but it uses Dart natively which is basically a DSL at this point.

Electron is heavy, but it's not as heavy as people assume.  It has the best cross-plat support of any of them, and as a web developer I like the options it provides me.  But I mostly just tinker these days.

wilde32

• Cuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2022, 02:20:50 PM »
i work with lots of different laptops and it feels like lower end machines just dont run stuff like discord smoothly even though we've been running chatroom programs for 15 years with very low performance requirements and it doesnt make sense

maybe that's due to windows 10 or discord specifically i dunno.

i used to join this little java chatroom thing that had basically no performance requirements and ran flawlessly even on my shitty xp machine that i had back then. and java isnt even that well optimised (at least from what i hear otherwise microsoft wouldnt spend so many resources on porting minecraft to c++)

re: on the selling cards thing. i ended up confirming 557 items manually on my phone, but the confirm screen is really laggy even though its just a list of check boxes. and that made me angry.

i kind of feel like we're in this process of software becoming more and more unoptimised making hardware advancements somewhat irrelevant. its a little bit sad i guess. i dont expect everyone to code in assembly but theres got to be some way of improving the state of things
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 02:29:19 PM by wilde32 »

hubol

• Cutesterest
    • View Profile
    • hubolhubolhubol
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2022, 02:59:50 PM »
i think there is an anal side of me that gets annoyed when i experience unoptimized crap. but at the same time, i think tools like electron give me relief knowing that human energy wasn't wasted optimizing or porting a billion apps. i deal with choppy performance of unity games on nindendo switch because i know that unity feels terrible to work with and i pity the developers, and i know that unreal engine is not something i want to work with either (my impression is that it's more performant, but it's fucking c++ or spaghetti blueprints?!?!). of course even our operating systems are unoptimized crap that degrade with each update too (this i find less excusable, but there are hidden escape hatches for it too).

to me, it's a little unfortunate that my silly iguana game won't be able to run on super old computers. but then i think about the pain of working with a more performant programming language and i'm fine with it.

i think we should all consider the human cost of writing software
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 03:06:31 PM by hubol »

dcco

• Cutest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2022, 10:09:44 PM »
i have definitely ""wasted"" hundreds of my life hours writing custom code that libraries/frameworks probably exist for. *but* i enjoy learning about and writing them, and ive done my best to make them reusable so that eventually i will be able to justify the time spent :U these days ive been learning 3d graphics from scratch (personally writing opengl/shader code) and uhhhh it's definitely taken a lot of upfront time investment, but some of it is kinda cool and from an artistic pov i like the creative potential of being able to do whatever i want visually. if i was just pushing some random webapp for a company tho i would not be doing this tho lmao